WW2 Era Propellant - 100mm? Naval

The propellant in the image below has come out of a shell from a WW2 era vessel and has been underwater ever since. I was curious as it is an interesting shape/size and surprised that it has writing stamped on it.

The shell is likely to be 100mm and it is possible that it is of French origin. Anyone able to offer any thoughts on it?

P.S Despite a long period of immersion it still burns really well!

propellant.jpg

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The only thing familiar to me is PE-88.

What does the PE-88 stand for? Must be some indication of composition or performance?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
What does the PE-88 stand for? Must be some indication of composition or performance?
I believe PE just means Plastic Explosive. 88 is just a number. PE-88 caused dreadful banghead if handled without gloves. I know from experience. Superseded by PE-4, known over the Pond as C4.

I am not an explosives expert.

I believe PE just means Plastic Explosive. 88 is just a number. PE-88 caused dreadful banghead if handled without gloves. I know from experience. Superseded by PE-4, known over the Pond as C4.

I think you mean PE 808. Smells like marzipan at first (indeed looks similar too). Famous indeed for '808 Head'.

And C4 is a teensy bit different composition from PE4 (it's a little stronger). It might just be slightly different proportions of plasticiser.

Cartridge, not sure how that would fit in a projectile.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I smell sulpha and see the swish of purple in this whole venture.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Shussh, don't warn him, it could get interesting!

BCO is a very responsible person. I'm sure that before setting light to it, he would have conducted a stability test by breaking a small piece off with either a 2lb or 4lb hammer.

Educated guess says the first 4 numbers are a manufacturing batch, thus allowing you to have a shelf life, and the rest is the type of propellant. Google however has never heard of PR-33 so alternately total bulls**t.

Educated guess says the first 4 numbers are a manufacturing batch, thus allowing you to have a shelf life, and the rest is the type of propellant. Google however has never heard of PR-33 so alternately total bulls**t.
Now try PB instead of PR or PE.

The only thing familiar to me is PE-88.
Am I looking at a different photo?
All I see is PB 33.
How are some of you seeing PE 88 or is this what the onset of dementia looks like?

ugly

LE

Patently so, it was 808!

ugly

LE
Propellant Block or Brick? Who knows with the navy!

Latest Threads