WW2 Docs and some questions

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Zarathustra, Jan 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today I've been busy moving some stuff from one house to another. During this I happened upon a folder that I thought had been lost last time I moved.

The folder contained paper work and maps from my Grandfathers time as a member of 6th Guards Tank Brigade serving in North West Europe.

One of the items in this folder was a booklet entitled:
    21st (British) Army Group in the Campaign in North West Europe 1944-1945 lecture by Field-Marshal Sir Bernard L. Montgomery To The Royal United Service Institution London

Was this something that everyone who served with 21st (British) Army Group received or was my Grandad just a light fingered ******?

There is also a map of the area around Bayeaux and Caen, this is in pretty bad shape but considering it made it through WW2 and 60+ years of sitting in the attic I'd like to preserve it.

I was thinking of getting it framed, but given the delicate nature of the map I'm not sure if this is the best way. Is there anyone out there who's ever preserved an item like this and could offer some advice?

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Laminate it,

3. NO! Never do that. You're better off doing nothing with it than laminating it.

4. It is very delicate and is already falling apart. I'm not sure heat and plastic would do it much good

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Ok then lay it between two layers of glass and seal the edges,

Oh and Monty had his head a bit to close to his Auspuf and gave copys of his speeches to just about everyone. but as it states Field Marshal it is probably a Post War speech

Care of old maps - paper conservation and preservation of old maps

6. If the paper is that bad a condition then you need take proper advice on conservation of documents; perhaps a local or national museum may be able to help

7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

My oldest map was printed in 1640 and this is just pulled out of my bookshelf and as you can see it is older than your map more than likely

Attached Files:

8. I can't quite make out the date other than it's 194something. So it might well be older than my map.

However I'd hazard a guess that your Air Training Corps Gazette wasn't kept in a Churchill Tank whilst roaming around North West Europe from 20th July 1944, taking part in Operation Bluecoat and Operation Veritable before ending the war at Lubeck.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest because the age of the document is irrelevant. Merely trying to point out that this wasn't a map someone proffed and kept safe somewhere, it still has markings for positions and that sort of stuff.

9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

As long as its all there it will last for years just laye'd between two layers of glass or plastic, try ot keep handeling to a minimum, and it will be ok, I'm doing a 1943 Pilots map up at the moment and its in a crap state and the RAF WW2 Aircrew notes I'm playing with are in shite condition but by the time I get finished it will almost look new
    I am still trying to work out how to get rid of the spilled ink though

Attached Files:

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The Pilots map ( 1943 Secret) of the midlands,Coventry, I've hung it and very gently steam cleaned it
    sorry the photos arn't to good but I'm useing my mobile phone

Attached Files:

11. Thanks, will look into it. There's a curator of a collection where I work and I'll be giving them a bell on Monday to see what they suggest.

12. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Your lucky if you got a bloke who will do it for you, I learned it off the people who look after the old stuff for Llandaff Cathedral, they did an evening course and I went along, it was really good and I have been picking stuff up at car boot sales and such and selling them on, , but if anything needs re binding thats out of my league, so I have to pay them to do a proper job, they recently did a first edition of the Mabinogion( Welsh Fairy Tales) for me, and as it was printed on rice paper and to flimsy for me to clean. I made a low pressure steam cleaner out of an old Kettle and run the steam through a pipe to Hypodermic and use loads of cotton buds and a huge magnifying glass

13. I doubt I'd be able to find anyone who'd be willing to do it for me, I'll be happy to find someone who doesn't mind taking the time to show me how to do it