WW2 Courts Martial

I have been researching the extended family tree and have found one individual who was originally commissioned in the 1920s and the re-commissioned in 1940 aged 33. However, in 1943 he was "dismissed the Service by sentence of a Gen. Court-Martial". The papers will not be released by the National Archives for a while yet.

I was wondering if any of the Learn'd and Knowledgeable here would have any idea as what sort of offence would merit that particular punishment?

I have been researching the extended family tree and have found one individual who was originally commissioned in the 1920s and the re-commissioned in 1940 aged 33. However, in 1943 he was "dismissed the Service by sentence of a Gen. Court-Martial". The papers will not be released by the National Archives for a while yet.

I was wondering if any of the Learn'd and Knowledgeable here would have any idea as what sort of offence would merit that particular punishment?
Short answer: No.

IF finance related, you may find archive newspaper mention of the name but that would only be the case if it involved a criminal court appearance.

WWII GCMs/DCMs will be sealed for some years. If you can prove death greater than 25 years, you can apply for his service records:

Get a copy of military service records

Even as a relative, the copies that you receive will be redacted.

Even as a relative, the copies that you receive will be redacted.
He died in 1967. According to Ancestry he was "father-in-law of 1st cousin 1x removed" so it stretches the "relative" bit. Since he is not a shared relation with my cousins it might be tactful not to delve too deeply. These things were probably never mentioned by family members. My maternal grand-mother was very open about how much of a sh1t her father was. However, she never mentioned that her uncle was "shot at dawn" in 1917 for murder. She would have been 9 at the time and I dare say she never knew the truth.

Homosexuality?

Sometimes it's best not to bother. My grandfather was the commandant of a rather well known camp during the war. It's not something we even mention as a family. Seriously mate, the future is more important than the past.

He died in 1967. According to Ancestry he was "father-in-law of 1st cousin 1x removed" so it stretches the "relative" bit. Since he is not a shared relation with my cousins it might be tactful not to delve too deeply. These things were probably never mentioned by family members. My maternal grand-mother was very open about how much of a sh1t her father was. However, she never mentioned that her uncle was "shot at dawn" in 1917 for murder. She would have been 9 at the time and I dare say she never knew the truth.
If you are happy to pm me a full name and DoB, I can have a nose around Ancestry and other research sites.

Sometimes it's best not to bother. My grandfather was the commandant of a rather well known camp during the war. It's not something we even mention as a family. Seriously mate, the future is more important than the past.
Auschwitz? ;)