Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reference Image WW2 British Vehicle codes and Bridge Classifications.

I can understand that - pity because looking at the site nominated by @Signalman I noticed some vagueries straight away.
Similarly, a book by Chaz Bowyer with a photo captioned as Boston bombers on D. Day is completely wrong - I hate referencing any book where I can spot these errors as I then question other stuff - primary source material comes at a premium of money and time doesn't it.
Yeah, he's just started on the project and it's a MASSIVE task. He's already got an amendment list as long as the Great Wall of China on some other forums :)

The other Quad that came with us to Tilly-sur-Suelles - the more familiar (earlier) humped-back model.

20200714_150425.jpg

20200714_154726.jpg

Good cross section of different markings on display.

There's a new website here that's just under construction with vehicle Arm-of-Service sign colours and serials, as well as other markings. He's started with the tank units, but hopes to expand it to cover everything:

Thanks for the shout-out - I wondered where all the extra views were coming from! I am slowly expanding the site to cover more markings and more theatres of the war, but tracking down sources is proving difficult as ever.

On the subject of books about markings, the main stumbling block seems to be a general lack of availability, coupled with the ludicrous prices being asked for second-hand copies of certain books. Hodges' British Military Markings and Taylor's Warpaint are often cited as the absolute must-haves for anyone researching this topic, but Hodges has been out of print for nearly thirty years, and copies of Taylor are on Amazon marketplace at over £200! I've been very lucky to recieve a gratis copy of Hodges from a fellow on another forum, and some scans of the relevant pages of Taylor, as it's nigh-on impossible to find copies for sale at a sensible price.

It seems bizarre that Osprey haven't really tackled the subject of vehicle markings, but someone on another forum I frequent contacted them and was told that they have indeed got something in the works, but don't expect it any time soon.

Thanks for the shout-out - I wondered where all the extra views were coming from! I am slowly expanding the site to cover more markings and more theatres of the war, but tracking down sources is proving difficult as ever.

On the subject of books about markings, the main stumbling block seems to be a general lack of availability, coupled with the ludicrous prices being asked for second-hand copies of certain books. Hodges' British Military Markings and Taylor's Warpaint are often cited as the absolute must-haves for anyone researching this topic, but Hodges has been out of print for nearly thirty years, and copies of Taylor are on Amazon marketplace at over £200! I've been very lucky to recieve a gratis copy of Hodges from a fellow on another forum, and some scans of the relevant pages of Taylor, as it's nigh-on impossible to find copies for sale at a sensible price.

It seems bizarre that Osprey haven't really tackled the subject of vehicle markings, but someone on another forum I frequent contacted them and was told that they have indeed got something in the works, but don't expect it any time soon.

Rather than divert this thread too much I'll try send you a PM shortly - I'm no expert but the little bits I have researched may help.

Latest Threads