WW2 bomber raid recording

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Run_Charlie!, Sep 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ''I think they are firing at us '' Brilliant , pure heroes I love the accents of course enhanced by the O2 masks but still. Cheers for the link .
  2. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Hats off to the guys who flew that mission - they sound completely laconic and so laid back, even when the pilot observes, "I think they're firing at us now." as if he was remarking that it was a warm day for the time of year!

Talk about a stiff upper lip...
  3. i want to take the piss but I'm humbled

excellent link Trick400
  4. Translated from my cowardly thought pattern of "We're over the enemy who are trying to blow us out of the sky and kill us, FFS let's get the fcuk out of here!!! Everyone shut the fcuk up!!! MUMMY!!! We're too heavy, jettison the fcuking junior Airman!!! " to........

"I think they're firing at us." Like they might be or might not be firing at us! Amazing stuff!

Great link, thanks.
  5. Fantastic recording, humbling and full of courage.

How could they keep a cool head under so much fire, I doubt if I could.
  6. I always used to think that the upper class accents that you hear in all the old movies were completely false. That proves that they weren't.

Cracking stuff.
  7. I think the O2 masks muffled their speech a little so it over emphasised their accents. But still crisp all the same. We abuse and strangle our beautiful language now don't we? I drop my 'H's like I'd love to drop no1cares... :wink:

Who were the crew members?
  8. Many thanks trick400 for bringing that to our attention.

Absolutely humbling when you think that nearly 55000 aircrew lost their lives over Germany and in listening to the recording from 1943 the thought occurs that that particular crew may well have numbered among the fallen before the war's end!

Men of steel every one of them: none of whom received a campaign medal for their particular theatre of war.

Compare the calm, measured and nonchalent tones of that crew with some of the recordings from the crews of the US Army's 6th Air Force, no less brave men but prone to using rather more colourful language!
  9. I think that is just written into the combat pilots training to sound that chilled out. They are always the same and i just cant get my head round it. So chilled out about what they are about to do - doing - or mostly have done.

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Hats to them.
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Hats off to them
    Very humbling to hear when they must have been sh1t scared

Without people thinking I am taking the pi$$ (coz I'm not)
    And I don't wish to devalue what they did
    Did anyone else think:
    Milligan, Sellars,Secombe and Bentine whilst listening to it?
    Can just hear them having a quick chorus of Ying tong yiddle I ay over the airfield whilst waiting to land :D

Respect all the same
  12. Ha ha ha, if I play it again it wont quite be the same. You've spoiled it for me TBS! :p Any old footage has a Harry Enfield's Miles-Chumley-Warner about it that is tongue in cheek and can't now be avoided! :lol:
  13. Actually there are some other very good recordings on the IWM online collection.

Try browsing the sound archive collection.
  14. I have listened to this a few times now, over the weekend, and like all of you am suitably impressed with the calm, professional 'chat'.

One point which is causing me to smile is the announcement from the bomb-aimer(?) to the effect "cookie gone ... incendiaries gone ... my bottle gone". Now the cookie I understand was a 8000 lb blast bomb, incendiaries speak for themselves, but 'bottle'? He was too calm to be talking about his nerve, I reckon he was talking about the bottle he had been p1ssing in on the way over. Hence the expression "we're throwing everything at the Germans".

My recommendation for reading on this topic is 'The Eighth Passenger' by Miles Tripp. Something which shines through the book is the affection the crew had for their pilot, an Australian. Perhaps the calm voice in the IWM recording was as much for the crew's benefit as genuine calmness.