WW2 Bases In East Anglia

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dogs_bollox, May 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking for information on which units were quartered and trained where and when in Norfolk, Suffolk & Cambridgeshire.

There's lots of signs of old concrete tracks and the odd buildings all over the place but no maps or collated resource. I'd like to rectify that.

I'm trawling many and various unit histories and I can tell you it's a lot of feckn reading for little return ! :( (Although interesting in itself of course).

If any other WW2 history geeks out there have names and dates and places readily to hand (or even better, unit maps) then I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Post on the thread or pm.

Cheers All,
    D_B

2. I trust you've had a look through http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html If you look at maps produced just after the War and compare them with earlier ones, you may find evidence of wartime structures. Of course, there'll be no detail of units, but you should get a few locations to add to the list.

3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

There's a whole set of books about the airfields but the name escapes me - try any East Anglian public library; for the USAAF try the memorial library in Norwich (part of the main public library). Also any OS map of the area as the perimeter tracks are often still visible.

4. There is a great overlay for Google Earth which shows all of the RAF bases past and present in the UK and a rundown of what units were stationed there +dates. I shall look up the link for you.

5. Ken Delves. Put his name in amazon or play and the whole lot comes up. It's the "Military Airfields of Britain" series. They are excellent.

Not that I'm some kind of geek you understand. Er.... a (cough) "friend" told me about them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The "After the Battle" series?

http://www.afterthebattle.com/books/books.html

Scroll half-way down the first page for BoB and look at Page 2 for books on USAAF bases. Well worth looking at.

7. Thanks for the info so far guys. all very interesting and I'll follow it up over the weekend.

I should have said, however, that air forces of either nation aer not what I'm after. I've spent many a happy hour whilst living in this country on and off visiting pretty much all the airfields in the region and as has been said, it's all VERY well documented.

I'm more interested in the British and US Armies. They were stashed all over the place for training pre D-day and often for relatively short periods of time before other units moved in.

Just as the combat veterans are leaving us in great numbers every day, so were the civillian witnesses to the squaddies in their back yards. It would be nice to get some of this properly documented.

D_B

8. The Action Stations series?

Getting back to the Army, the Desert Rats site has a list of their units' locations before D-Day. These locations would no doubt have served other units and formations before and after 7 Armd Div's time. Off the top of my head 15/19 H handed Didlington over to 22 Armd Bde.

• Like Like x 1
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Actually the camps themselves are very well documented, ironically enough by The Luftwaffe, both in a pre-war survey and during it.

I believe that the records are now at Kew, having been snatched by the Brits at the end of WWII.

The Luftwaffe flights also provided one of the best aerial survey maps of London pre-Blitz/War, and were used as part of the basis for the proposed redesign of London, although the full plans never came to fruition.

11. davidflies

davidflies War Hero Book Reviewer