Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds WW2 Anderson shelter ( school project)

stuskimac

Clanker
Not sure weather this is really appropriate for this forum, but i'll have a go anyway, apologies to Mods if I have err'd. I've been a long time lurker of this site & in particular the modelling forum, it's my daily look forward too & escape, I love what you guys do, from Simmerits & Dads203 master class, Sprocket321 & Smeggars scratch building ingenuity & everything else no less.
Well my 9 year old Son was tasked to build a model of a WW2 Anderson shelter for homework & he asked if I could help, to which I was happy to be involved (take on the challenge) & secretly these home builds are really best Dad competitions anyway ! (if frowned upon a bit by the school).
It's a not really that scale, a bit crude & rough in general & can't really be classed as a scale model, just a bit of fun really. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get carried away a bit, I'm a just a big kid really at times, but its harmless fun I guess.
Anyway the build, basically just scratched together using cardboard, paper mache, balsa wood & lots of PVA glue, poster paints, shop bought grass flock & lichen moss. Everything was scratch built apart from the dolls house kettle.
I built the interior separate so it could fitted towards the end of the build, a working tilley lamp & a removable panel/glazed viewing window (to keep the ickle kinders fingers out!) on the side. I tried to keep the light switch simple & easy for a 9 year old to use, but also tamper proof & came up with the idea of a somewhat crude dog kennel to hide the battery box/switch.
Like I said, its not really a true scale model & it is a bit crude, so don't judge me to harshly. But I will say I was inspired by this forum in particular Smeggars & Sprocket321 scratch building abilities, enjoy (hopefully)
135426410_10159108230116385_6136467969352179129_n.jpg
136165422_10159108230231385_4923615736279822771_n.jpg
136160896_10159108230851385_8414143852276958412_n.jpg
135878690_10159108230531385_186985176553577810_n.jpg
136037576_10159108230706385_310177861859494017_n.jpg
135419144_10159108230311385_4472923515765204421_n.jpg
135422669_10159108230361385_5383045465746491978_n.jpg
135208157_10159106163266385_4159573055921488532_n.jpg
135296217_10159106163216385_8672186674098289077_n.jpg

Last edited:
I like it and award you a gold star.

Daz

LE
Missing pisspot, please show pisspot and contents after class :)

Nicely done BTW

Daz

LE

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a copy of the assembly instructions if you would like them scanned up
also a set of instructions for preparing your house against an air raid

I was quite a good modeller as a kid and remember a couple of school builds where I received an F for because they thought my father had done them. Once they met him though they believed me.

stuskimac

Clanker
I was quite a good modeller as a kid and remember a couple of school builds where I received an F for because they thought my father had done them. Once they met him though they believed me.
Trust me if it was work he was going to be graded on I would of made him do the work, I would of helped & advised him though. I tried to get him involved a bit, got him to paint the green, then PVA & sprinkle the flock & stuck the lichen moss & vegetables down. But the project was more for fun homework, not gradable.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Love the use of corrugated cardboard to represent wriggly tin.

I went to primary school with some twins who had a fairly intact Anderson shelter in their garden.

Best den ever.

You can buy replica ones and I’ve been thinking about sticking a couple on the farm as glamping pods. You could use a pig arc to make a more spacious version.

1BA91E1F-C457-42C0-8254-0AFBEE4AFD1F.jpeg

Chef

LE
Love the use of corrugated cardboard to represent wriggly tin.

I went to primary school with some twins who had a fairly intact Anderson shelter in their garden.

Best den ever.

You can buy replica ones and I’ve been thinking about sticking a couple on the farm as glamping pods. You could use a pig arc to make a more spacious version.

View attachment 535922
I'd have thought they'd need a bit of work to make them glampable. Windows and dehumidifiers amongst other things. Probably a heater too if they're semiburied.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'd have thought they'd need a bit of work to make them glampable. Windows and dehumidifiers amongst other things. Probably a heater too if they're semiburied.

Dunno, there are loads of ********* out there who will pay for an authentic WW2 experience.

I’ll get the kids to let fireworks off outside and bang on the roof.

Chef

LE
Dunno, there are loads of ********* out there who will pay for an authentic WW2 experience.

I’ll get the kids to let fireworks off outside and bang on the roof.
'Quartered safe out her' G MacDonald Fraser has the section he served in in the far east discussing just such an idea.

Rain, holes to dig, and possibly a Japanese sniper thrown in.

Add some radio stags through the night and pre finger printed egg banjos and you could be on to a winner.

'We tried Raver's glamping war experience, first rate and when Tarquin's trench foot clears up we'll be back!!'

Covid secure!!!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
If you want to make a full size one, use coroline sheets over a wooden former, leave them in place on a hot day and they will gradually bend to the required shape

Not sure weather this is really appropriate for this forum, but i'll have a go anyway, apologies to Mods if I have err'd. I've been a long time lurker of this site & in particular the modelling forum, it's my daily look forward too & escape, I love what you guys do, from Simmerits & Dads203 master class, Sprocket321 & Smeggars scratch building ingenuity & everything else no less.
Well my 9 year old Son was tasked to build a model of a WW2 Anderson shelter for homework & he asked if I could help, to which I was happy to be involved (take on the challenge) & secretly these home builds are really best Dad competitions anyway ! (if frowned upon a bit by the school).
It's a not really that scale, a bit crude & rough in general & can't really be classed as a scale model, just a bit of fun really. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get carried away a bit, I'm a just a big kid really at times, but its harmless fun I guess.
Anyway the build, basically just scratched together using cardboard, paper mache, balsa wood & lots of PVA glue, poster paints, shop bought grass flock & lichen moss. Everything was scratch built apart from the dolls house kettle.
I built the interior separate so it could fitted towards the end of the build, a working tilley lamp & a removable panel/glazed viewing window (to keep the ickle kinders fingers out!) on the side. I tried to keep the light switch simple & easy for a 9 year old to use, but also tamper proof & came up with the idea of a somewhat crude dog kennel to hide the battery box/switch.
Like I said, its not really a true scale model & it is a bit crude, so don't judge me to harshly. But I will say I was inspired by this forum in particular Smeggars & Sprocket321 scratch building abilities, enjoy (hopefully)
Excellent build and an excellent 1st post.

Reading your introduction didn't prepare me for how good your model really looks - almost idyllic...

Until the late eighties our garden shed was an Anderson shelter standing on ground level - not ideal as a garden shed but it came with the house when my parents bought it. It was fun to sit on top of.

Latest Threads