WW1 wounded - Facial reconstruction

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonny3979, Feb 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the museum in Peronne, one of the displays shows contemporary footage of maxillo-facial cases. That really puts the context in place...

2. I must admit I always thought that maxfax was pioneered at East Grinsted by McIndoe patching up RAF pilots.

The shows how much was done between the wars.

Though I seem to recall having a converstion with a medic years ago who said that the "pedical" trick was developed in Italy in the middle ages for replacing noses which had be cut off as a punishment for fraud...

I forget the surgeon's name, but he sounded like a Mafia boss. I will have a trawl on the internet....

Later.. Nope, the name I remembered was Luigi Terracotti, who I could not find, however here is a link to a facinating history of plastic surgery...

http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/topic433.htm

Just think how much Jordan owes to squaddies in WW1!

3. I knew nothing about this and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. It is humbling thinking about what these guys went through, although it is good to know that work was being done to improve the lives of the men featured on the site.

4. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

I had 2 pictures in a book showing a French soldier from WW1 with most of his face missing or caved in. All they could do for him was give him a metal face mask that he would hold up to his face . It showed him with his injuries and then with the mask. How he manged to live a normal life after something like that is beyond me