WW1 Veterans. Any still alive?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Apr 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Just wondering if anyone knows of any British WW1 vets that are still alive. I seem to recall there were about 3 or 4 as of last year.

Also any veterans from other countries such as Germany or France?

2. Couple of dozen worldwide as I understand it General, with one in Germany.

3. There are still a few British veterans alive - 23 in August 2004

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,1275951,00.html

I think I may have seen an obit for one recently, but I'm afraid I can't quite recall.

One of them, Henry Allingham, received a new set of medals in February this year - http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/news_0502_04.html - and I'm fairly certain that he is still with us.

There are a few Canadians still with us as well - two of them being interviewed about Vimy Ridge not more than a couple of days ago - http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/04/10/990665-cp.html

I'm not certain about French or German veterans; the last known German veteran is/was a chap called Charles Kuentz, who was mentioned in an article in the Scotsman - http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1183&id=888412004 - last year. He only told his children what he did in the war when he reached 100...

I think one of the Russian veterans (possibly the last??) died recently, and there are no known survivng Italian veterans of the war - the last died earlier this year aged 110.

4. There are a total of 5 WW1 vets left in Canada as of yesterday. Their average age is about 108/109. We lost a gentleman just a few days ago. I very much doubt that any Canadian WW1 vets will be left by the end of the year, but I would be very happy if it were otherwise.

5. It's strange isnt it one of the largest wars in the world and only a handful ar eleft who fought in it.

6. Don't be a f*cking tw@t. There's a difference between being a stupid child and posting bone comments and being offensive about a very few remaining very old, very brave men.

7. It will be a sad day when the last of these old soldiers passes on, I hope at his funeral, there will be representation, from communities, politicians and royals alike, not minor ones. We will indeed miss them each year at the front of the Rememberance Parade, God willing we will see them there this year.

8. My folks were in Oz a couple of years ago when the last ANZAC died.

Full state funeral and a commemerative coin. I hope the last of our veterans is treated with the same respect.

9. Would be good to think so, but under Bliar & Neu Arbeit, where courage, commitment and sacrifice are scoffed at, I'd be very surprised... :evil:

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I read somewhere that was the hope for the last UK WW1 veteran.

11. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Under New Labour the funeral will be organised and attended by the Republican Corps of Social Workers with the coffin carried on a privatised meals on wheel trolley draped in a quilt sewn together by the Men's Multicultural Lesbian Support Group Of Brent under national Lottery funding. Medals will not be permitted as we don't want to glorify the oppressive and aggressive actions that our nation took against our peaceloving German friends when they tried to create a united Europe.

This will be followed by an address to the assembled faithful (hired at minimum wage) by St Tony including an apology to the rest of the world for failing to share victory thereby infringing their right to self expression through peacefully sharing our land in 1914 and 1939.

We are a bad nation and must be truly repentant.

12. ...and all of this will come to pass when they finally come to break down the door of his squalid little council hole six years after he died.

13. I always enjoyed yarning with the WW1 officer vets when they visited our TAC for their annual get together and lunch. The last one, in 1989 or 1990, featured the last three local officer vets..Bungey Essex-Lewis DCM - a TA boy soldier in 1914 mobilised in that very TAC and latterly a colonel in WW2, an RMLI guy who had been at Gallipoli AND Jutland and "Boy" Bradford VC's adjutant from the DLI....well down my mess bill by the time we had exhausted the fine old chaps! :!:

General Melchett, why do you ask? Having a last look through your paperwork and unable to account for the odd couple of dozen that you and Captain Darling failed to send to their deaths?? :D :D

14. Alfred Anderson,of Alyth,Perthshire.He is the oldest man in Scotland at 108/9 years old. Served with BW in WW1.

At some time during his service he was batman to Capt Fergus Bowes-Lyon, who was a brother of the Late Queen Mother.

15. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Cheers for the links guys.

Lets hope they are all given a good send off and not just the last to pass on. I'll be raising a glass or two for them later.