WW1 Turkish rifles

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by seaweed, Oct 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I am trying to find out what calibre rifles the Turks had in Mesopotmia in 1916. All I can find so far on the internet is abour 8mm Mausers but did they have other, perhaps legacy rifles with a larger calibre?

(This is about the bullet with which my grandfather was shot in the thigh in 'Mespot' - I just have a memory that it was larger than our .303).

2. The Turks have been using Mausers since the 1880s - initially 9.5x60R in black powder, they then changed to 7.65x53 in the 1890 with the introduction of smokeless powder before finally adopting the standard German 8x57 (7.92) Mauser calibre in the 1930s...

Take your pick, but I would have thought it would most likeley to have been a 7.65, which is a tad smaller than .303..

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

4. Please find attached image of the base of a Turkish cartridge case I picked up at MA'AN, Jordan in 2007. The defences were part of the Hedjaz railway which Ma'an was a major shunting yards. Approx 5000 troops stationed there at one time. I won't commit myself to what calibre, but I am sure somebody will know.

Attached Files:

5. DM is Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken

S67 is the cartridge case brass composition, 67% copper, 33% zinc.

WW1 or previous Mauser jobby I'd think.

6. The HAC had a Turkish Mauser captured in palestine in their armoury. I recall firing it in the 1990s at a black powder day at Bisley. The lowest sight setting was 700m and you had to aim well below the target at 100m to hit anything.