WW1 Tanks

Discussion in 'RAC' started by BenghaziBandit, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After WW1 many towns and cities were presented with a tank, our local one presented in 1920 was cut up for scrap in 1943, my question is, are there any left in any towns?

Attached Files:

2. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

There is one at Cambrai still. mind you don't think they could get away with smelting that one down.
  3. There is one in Ashford in Kent, I believe it was used as an electricity sub station, so escaped the scrap man.
  4. Bovvy! :p
  5. A Mark V in Luhansk, Ukraine seems to be the only other British tank serving as a memorial, rather than a museum exhibit. There are quite a few FT17 scattered about. See here: Lists of Surviving WW1 Tanks
    He's also got lists of WW2 armour.
  6. Theres the WW1 tank D51 Deborah at Flesquieres, which i saw last September, okay not in England, but its a WW1 tank. :)
  7. I think from info that Ashford is the only one in UK.

Attached Files:

8. I have a photo in a book from my local town, (Denny in Stirlingshire). It is the tank Juilian, on 15th October 1918 and was there as part of the East Stirlingshire Tank Week to raise money for war bonds. The tank was commanded by a Captain McIntosh.

I will copy this photo and post it tomorrow.
  9. Thank you.I do have photo of 'Old Bill' visiting Leicester on a tour of the Midlands about the same date.
    Would appreciate pic.BB.
  10. OK here we go - I hope this works because it is via a circuitous route :(

11. This site is worth a look

Funny thing, "the first ever tank was designed and developed, in, Lincoln" in 1916. There's hardly any testament to that fact, apart from an obscure plaque somewhere on Lincoln's Tritton road, if that hasn't been nicked and sold off by developers, or "incomers".
  12. Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's try again shall we?

Attached Files:

13. Very Good RM, here is 'Old Bill' in Leicester during a tour of the Midlands.

Attached Files:

14. These are in the East Block and Australia B.

Attached Files:

15. Ref. Pics, Hanni was used by the Russians until 1935. They ' got ' it in 1920. It stands in Kubinka. B.