Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After WW1 many towns and cities were presented with a tank!
    Our local one, presented in 1920 was cut up for scrap in 1943, are there any left anywhere now?

Attached Files:

2. Ashford has one
  3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The tank that used to grace the parade ground at HMS Excellent in Portsmouth was given to Bovingdon. Allegedly it was mobilised in 1940 but after knocking the corner off a Portsmouth pub was returned to its duties as a garden ornament at Whale Island (rather an impressive one).
  4. Bovvy tank museum as a working one and a few on display. I've never heard of any anywhere else.
  5. Thanks I do know of those, a few years ago a chap from Lincs (I think) contacted me for info on presented WW1 tanks as he was writing a book on it, whether he completed it or not I don't know.
  6. They had one in Hatfield Park in the 1960s; don't know what happened to it.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I read somewhere; one got to Australia after WW1.
  8. A German A7V was 'acquired' by diggers in France during WW1, brought back to Oz and now occupies pride of place in the Queensland Museum- complete with graffiti carved into the side and the shell hole in the roof which rendered it useless in the first place (the tank, not the museum)

Apparently it's the only complete one left in the world.
  9. There's one in the Museum Of Lincolnshire Life here. Tanks being invented and first made there and all that.

There's also some proper dull sh1t on being an inbred Lincolnshire mong as well
  10. I Know where Hatfield House is but have never seen anything like that there. I lived in Barnet and Borehamwood in the 50/60s. Is the Red Lion
    in Barnet still there do you know? I lived in Fitzjohns Ave. just down the road from it. I am presuming you mean Hatfield Park North London. B.
  11. Tracker, I found these two references on the ever-reliable internet:

"Back in 1967, there was no Mark I at the Tank Museum, Bovington. The current vehicle displayed arrived from Hatfield Park in 1969" from a modelling site, and:

"This example was presented to Lord Salisbury in 1919 for display on his Hatfield Park estate in Hertfordshire to commemorate the use of his grounds for some of the earliest tank demonstrations in 1916." from Bovington's own website.

This date would concur with my memory; I didn't live in Hatfield but had relatives there who I remember visiting in 1966. I had no idea until now though that the tank at Bovington was the Hatfield one.
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Yep, knew I read it somewhere!
  13. I'm sure there's one at the French Tank Museum at Saumur. I went a few years back. Not that I'm a tank geek or anything (cough!) :)
  14. Don't know if I'm on the right track but this one stands in the RAAC Museum in Ausralia. The Russians used A Mk. 1V/V until 1935. B.

nb. Hanni is in the Russian War Museum. It was in sevice until 1935

Attached Files:

15. There in an A7V in the German War/Military Museum in Munster
    It's Type i think is Wotan or is it a different one that has nothing to do with the issue. B.
    A7V in Brisbanes Museum is named Mephisto