WW1 Surgery

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, Jul 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

We know a load of pioneering work was done during WW1, looks like more of it is coming online.
    Pioneering plastic surgery records from First World War published - Telegraph

The Queen Mary's Hospital Sidcup Archives
  2. Some of those facial reconstructions were truly astonishingly, given the era.
  3. I'm sure I watched a documentary about him, some clever person would be able to track it down maybe.
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

• Like Like x 1
  5. I do remember Gilles being mentioned as inspiring his younger cousin Archibald McIndoe (WWII Guinea pig Club) into taking up plastic surgery.
    I also recall a harrowing book of before, during and after photos of Gilles patients. Amazing results for the time.
  6. The American series Boardwalk Empire features a character who suffered facial injuries of this type in WW1. His prosthesis is attached by a pair of spectacles...in one episode he removes it to reveal the full horror of the wound.
  7. There was an exhibition on Harold Gillies at the National Army Museum. Not sure if it's still on though.