WW1 Stereograms, help, info, needed.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Chef, Sep 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have via my grandfather a boxed set of stereograms, about 500 or so, sold at the end of the Great War. So far so good.
    Unfortunately over the years the actual stereogram kit has got mislaid. They consisted of a handle, a pair of lenses, and a holder like a trumpet player's music holder, mounted on a rail so it could be moved nearer or farther away for focus.
    The photos are mounted on cardboard measuring 3 1/2" X 7".
    Is such kit still around? Is it silly money? Any ideas would be gratefully received.
  2. One of these possibly:
    Holmes Stereoscope

There are some instructions elsewhere on the web to make your own just google "Steroescopic slide viewer"
  3. They appear regularly on eBay at reasonable prices! If you have a scanner, you can make your own anaglyphs. Just Google "Making an Anaglyph" and you should find instructions. All you need then to view them is a pair of the red/green specs.

Also, if you hold the cards level with your eyes and cross your eyes until you see three images, the middle one will appear in 3D. You're just turning your Mk 1s into a stereoscope.
  4. Thanks for the info, the Holmes type are the ones we had.
    I've just tried the crossed eye method, brilliant, thanks again.
  5. The "crossed eyes" trick is also great for solving the HOAY "spot the differences" pics in Soldier - where you see a "fuzz", that's a "difference"!