WW1 service record - KIA Gallipoli

Dwarf

LE
I understand that 1st Bns were UK based and required mobilised reservists to bring them to War Establishment, with 2nd Bns out in the Empire at nearer full strength, which explains why the 2nd were in China when the war broke out. If he was mobilised to the 1st Bn in 1914 and went to France, what would the reason for transfer to the 2nd Bn for Gallipoli be?
Perhaps given his previous service he might have been kept at depot or cadre training at first and therefore not deployed to France. Then if 2 Bn needed an experienced corporal then he was posted there.
Robert Graves in his book moved between his two battalions and depots with some ease, although as an officer mobility would maybe have been greater.
Just musing.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Perhaps given his previous service he might have been kept at depot or cadre training at first and therefore not deployed to France. Then if 2 Bn needed an experienced corporal then he was posted there.
Robert Graves in his book moved between his two battalions and depots with some ease, although as an officer mobility would maybe have been greater.
Just musing.
he definitely deployed to France, hence 1914 Star - question over clasp

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Best as I can make it - please feel free to comment

5259 Pte Leonard Caddick

Born 1876, 42 Hill St, Blaenavon, Monmouth. Bricklayer’s labourer

Parents Eliza Caddick & Richard Wynne Caddick (deceased)

Sisters - Annie, Effie, Ella & Brother - Illtyd (Sp?)

Tattoo on right forearm My Sweetheart and crossed flags on left forearm

5 Aug 1898 - Attested Worcestershire Regiment aged 22 years & 4 months in Worcester

30 Sept 1898 - Posted to 1st Bn Worcester Regiment
  • Home (UK) 5 Aug 1898-14 Mar 1900 (from attestation date)
  • South Africa 18 Mar 1902-22 Oct 1904 (dates don’t match up – more likely to be 1900-1904)
16 Feb 1903 - Posted to 2nd Bn Worcester Regiment
  • Ceylon 23 Oct 1904-29 Jan 1906 (Bn sailed from Durban S Africa on 22 Oct 1904, arriving Columbo 5 Nov 1904)
30 Jan 1906 - Posted 1st Bn Worcester Regiment (presume to await discharge)

4 August 1906 - Posted to Army Reserve (Class B from 5 Aug 1906)

4 Aug 1910 – Discharged on termination of his period of engagement, entered Special Reserve

4 (prob) Aug 1914 - Recalled from Special Reserve on declaration of war – issued number 11767

TBC Aug 1914 - Posted to 1st Bn South Wales Borderers
  • Home (Bordon, UK) 3rd Bde, 1st Div
  • France (Western Front) 2 Nov 1914-TBC
TBC Jan-Mar 1915 - Posted to 2nd Bn South Wales Borderers
  • Home (Rugby, UK) 87th Bde, 29th Div 12 Jan 1915-17 Mar 1915 (Bn returned from China 4 Dec 1914)
  • Gallipoli 24 Apr 1915-6 July 1915 (KIA)
LCpl Leonard Caddick - KIA Gallipoli aged 39

(war diary states ‘attack organised on the enemy sap head’ ‘13 men killed and about 30 wounded’)

Medals:

South Africa (2nd Boer War) – Queen’s South Africa Medal w/clasps Johannesburg, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, King’s South Africa Medal w/clasps 1901 & 1902

WW1 – 1914 Star*, British War Medal, Victory Medal (Pip, Squeak & Wilfred)

*Denotes service as an ‘Old Contemptible - Clasp 5th AUG.–22nd NOV. 1914 instituted in 1919, requiring individual to claim (hard if KIA)

- Edited to confirm date of deployment to France -

Last edited:
Best that I can come up with is this:

The Bn War Diary for early/mid Nov 1914 is quite hectic, though it does record a draft of 196 men arriving on 13 Nov 14. Assuming that this draft would have included Leonard, then I can see no valid reason why he didn't qualify for the clasp to the Star.

However.

The clasp was not authorised until October 1919 (Army Order no. 361 of 16 October 1919). Leonard had been dead over 4 years by then and, as NOK, his Mother would probably have had no wish to pursue any further claim.

War Diary - November 1914 - 1.jpg

War Diary - Nov 1914 - 2.jpg

War Diary - Nov 1914 - 3.jpg

War Diary - Nov 1914 - 4.jpg

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Best that I can come up with is this:

The Bn War Diary for early/mid Nov 1914 is quite hectic, though it does record a draft of 196 men arriving on 13 Nov 14. Assuming that this draft would have included Leonard, then I can see no valid reason why he didn't qualify for the clasp to the Star.

However.

The clasp was not authorised until October 1919 (Army Order no. 361 of 16 October 1919). Leonard had been dead over 4 years by then and, as NOK, his Mother would probably have had no wish to pursue any further claim.

View attachment 563620

On the understanding that Home Service 1st Bns required their reservists to bring them up to WFE, is there any reason that Leonard would not have arrived in August?

Best as I can make it - please feel free to comment

5259 Pte Leonard Caddick

Born 1876, 42 Hill St, Blaenavon, Monmouth. Bricklayer’s labourer

Parents Eliza Caddick & Richard Wynne Caddick (deceased)

Sisters - Annie, Effie, Ella & Brother - Illtyd (Sp?)

Tattoo on right forearm My Sweetheart and crossed flags on left forearm

5 Aug 1898 - Attested Worcestershire Regiment aged 22 years & 4 months in Worcester

30 Sept 1898 - Posted to 1st Bn Worcester Regiment
  • Home (UK) 5 Aug 1898-14 Mar 1900 (from attestation date)
  • South Africa 18 Mar 1902-22 Oct 1904 (dates don’t match up – more likely to be 1900-1904)
16 Feb 1903 - Posted to 2nd Bn Worcester Regiment
  • Ceylon 23 Oct 1904-29 Jan 1906 (Bn sailed from Durban S Africa on 22 Oct 1904, arriving Columbo 5 Nov 1904)
30 Jan 1906 - Posted 1st Bn Worcester Regiment (presume to await discharge)

4 August 1906 - Posted to Army Reserve (Class B from 5 Aug 1906)

4 Aug 1910 – Discharged on termination of his period of engagement, entered Special Reserve

4 (prob) Aug 1914 - Recalled from Special Reserve on declaration of war – issued number 11767

TBC Aug 1914 - Posted to 1st Bn South Wales Borderers
  • Home (Bordon, UK) 3rd Bde, 1st Div
  • France (Western Front) 13 Aug 1914-TBC (poss Battles of Mons, Marne, Aisne, 1st Ypres)
TBC Jan-Mar 1915 - Posted to 2nd Bn South Wales Borderers
  • Home (Rugby, UK) 87th Bde, 29th Div 12 Jan 1915-17 Mar 1915 (Bn returned from China 4 Dec 1914)
  • Gallipoli 24 Apr 1915-6 July 1915 (KIA)
LCpl Leonard Caddick - KIA Gallipoli aged 39

(war diary states ‘attack organised on the enemy sap head’ ‘13 men killed and about 30 wounded’)

Medals:

South Africa (2nd Boer War) – Queen’s South Africa Medal w/clasps Johannesburg, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, King’s South Africa Medal w/clasps 1901 & 1902

WW1 – 1914 Star*, British War Medal, Victory Medal (Pip, Squeak & Wilfred)

*Denotes service as an ‘Old Contemptible - Clasp 5th AUG.–22nd NOV. 1914 instituted in 1919, requiring individual to claim (hard if KIA)
1/SWB landed France 13 Aug but it looks like Leonard didn't land until 2 November.
That would be in time for the clasp, but he may have been retained in a non-qualifying area for some reason before going up the line.
However, the most likely thing is that nobody applied for the clasp in 1919

Last edited:

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
1/SWB landed France 13 Aug but it looks like Leonard didn't land until 2 November.
That would be in time for the clasp, but he may have been retained in a non-qualifying area for some reason before going up the line.
I've missed the bit about his deployment date - where was that?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Can I use this opportunity to ask for help or advice please?
This is my grandfather, Michael Kelly. The only information I can get from his Great War service is what I can ascertain from two photographs. One photograph has him standing in front of a background with a pyramid on it, he is wearing a 'desert' uniform. The other is of him wearing the Pattern Service Dress tunic and trousers. From his cap badge he was in either, The Royal Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery or the Royal Garrison Artillery. His lower right sleeve shows 'Good Conduct' / length of service stripes (?) and upper right sleeve has an 'L'; the 'Gun layer brass sleeve badge', which suggests that he was a loader. Michael was born in 1879 in a village called Killakee (just outside Dublin) in Ireland. Any help would be appreciated.
Michael Kelly_Egypt.jpg

Michael Kelly_First World War.jpg

slick

LE
Can I use this opportunity to ask for help or advice please?
This is my grandfather, Michael Kelly. The only information I can get from his Great War service is what I can ascertain from two photographs. One photograph has him standing in front of a background with a pyramid on it, he is wearing a 'desert' uniform. The other is of him wearing the Pattern Service Dress tunic and trousers. From his cap badge he was in either, The Royal Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery or the Royal Garrison Artillery. His lower right sleeve shows 'Good Conduct' / length of service stripes (?) and upper right sleeve has an 'L'; the 'Gun layer brass sleeve badge', which suggests that he was a loader. Michael was born in 1879 in a village called Killakee (just outside Dublin) in Ireland. Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 563760
View attachment 563762
@FourZeroCharlie

His MIC tells you quite a bit about his WWI service:

Kelly-MIC.jpg

He served with the RGA. His Theatre of War was Egypt (confirmed by '3' as the Theatre designator) and also his date of entry therein, thus entitling him to a 1915 Star Pip, Squeak and Wilfrid trio.

He was released to 'Z' Class Reserve (liable for immediate recall if necessary) on 22 Apr 1919.

The copies of the relevant Medal Rolls confirm his MIC and also tell us that the last unit he served with was 10 Hvy Bty RGA:

Kelly - 1915 Star.jpg

Kelly - BW and VM Roll.jpg

@Mary Hinge - have you any other information on Michael as trying to find a 'Kelly' in Ireland is like trying to locate a needle in a stack of needles :cool:
I've been looking for over seven years for anything that I could use to cross reference him. I've had that medal card for a while now but I'm not sure if the man it belongs to is my grandfather, as you say, 'Kelly' is a very common name in Ireland. The thing that makes me uncertain about the medal card I sent is that it mentions Egypt but not France or Flanders. From the photo where he is wearing the Pattern Service Dress tunic and trousers, this looks like where he was as well. Why was Egypt mentioned on the card But not France or Flanders?

Last edited:
I've been looking for over seven years for anything that I could use to cross reference him. I've had that medal card for a while now but I'm not sure if the man it belongs to is my grandfather, as you say, 'Kelly' is a very common name in Ireland. The thing that makes me uncertain about the medal card I sent is that it mentions Egypt but not France or Belgium. From the photo where he is wearing the Pattern Service Dress tunic and trousers, this looks like where he was as well. Why was Egypt mentioned on the card But not France or Belgium?

Because Egypt would be regarded as his first entry into a Theatre of War - subsequent movements would (rarely) be annotated.

Having said that there are some anomalies: troops moving to Middle East and elsewhere would embark in smaller ferries to France, disembark and then be loaded onto larger troop ships. Thus, whilst never at the front in France and Flanders, ToW would appear as '1' (F and F).

I've been reading up about how to read medal cards and the codes used. Just in front of The Star is a '15'. Would this refer to the 1914 / 1915 Star (as opposed to the 1914 Star)? Also, what does the '1133' (it looks like1B3) to?

Latest Threads