WW1 service record - KIA Gallipoli

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hi all, a colleague has just discovered an ancestor who died at Gallipoli. Anyone with access able to flesh out the following?

11767 LCpl Leonard Caddick, 2nd Bn South Wales Borderers. KIA 6/7/15 aged 39 (named on Helles Memorial)
Son of Richard & Eliza Caddick, 42 Hill St, Blaenavon, Mon

MIC for Leonard Caddick:

Caddick - MIC.jpg

Given his age at death and his early entry into a Theatre of War, possibly a Regular or recently recalled from Army Reserve?

I'll see what's out there . . .

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
As I suspected, Leonard was pre-War Special Reserve (replaced the Militia in 1908 as a part of the Haldane reforms):

1914 Star Roll.jpg

BW and VM Roll.jpg

His 14 Star would be named as 'Pte' and his BW and VM as 'LCpl'

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
And, finally, the CWGC Register for the Helles Memorial:

CWGC Ledger.JPG

His entry into the Register of Soldiers Effects:

Register of Effects.jpg

If I have the time, I'll try and trace the Bn War Diary for the day.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I take it the 14 Star meant he served in France with the 1st Bn as an Old Contemptible?

Doesn't look like it: there's no annotation on the MIC for 'Clasps and Roses', which would be expected if he qualified for the clasp '5th AUG.–22nd NOV. 1914'.

The criteria was that the individual ' . . . had served under fire or who had operated within range of enemy mobile artillery in France or Belgium during the period between 5 August and 22 November 1914.'

It's seems that he didn't.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I understand that 1st Bns were UK based and required mobilised reservists to bring them to War Establishment, with 2nd Bns out in the Empire at nearer full strength, which explains why the 2nd were in China when the war broke out. If he was mobilised to the 1st Bn in 1914 and went to France, what would the reason for transfer to the 2nd Bn for Gallipoli be?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Doesn't look like it: there's no annotation on the MIC for 'Clasps and Roses', which would be expected if he qualified for the clasp '5th AUG.–22nd NOV. 1914'.

The criteria was that the individual ' . . . had served under fire or who had operated within range of enemy mobile artillery in France or Belgium during the period between 5 August and 22 November 1914.'

It's seems that he didn't.
(ignorance speaking) what does the '14 star on its own signify? I assume he was mobilised to the 1st Bn, which deployed in Aug 14.
Edit - I see the clasp was instituted in 1919 and required the individual to claim it - hard to do if KIA.

(ignorance speaking) what does the '14 star on its own signify? I assume he was mobilised to the 1st Bn, which deployed in Aug 14.

Indeed. As said previously, he (and probably others) did not get close enough to the front to qualify for the clasp. I'm assuming that his Theatre of War was F and F: unfortunately the numerical Theatre is missing from his MIC.

The War Diary survives. Herewith the 2 pages which would cover his date of death:

War Diary 1.jpg

War Diary 2.jpg

It's a sobering thought that his death is covered with the throwaway line '13 men killed and about 30 wounded'.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Indeed. As said previously, he (and probably others) did not get close enough to the front to qualify for the clasp. I'm assuming that his Theatre of War was F and F: unfortunately the numerical Theatre is missing from his MIC.

The War Diary survives. Herewith the 2 pages which would cover his date of death:

View attachment 563571

It's a sobering thought that his death is covered with the throwaway line '13 men killed and about 30 wounded'.
But officers named - so much for equality in death..

I found his enlistment papers!
If you read 'Leonard Caddick Enlistment Papers_4', it shows his mother and her address.
Leonard Caddick Enlistment Papers.jpg

Leonard Caddick Enlistment Papers_2.jpg
Leonard Caddick Enlistment Papers_3.jpg
Leonard Caddick Enlistment Papers_4.jpg

But officers named - so much for equality in death..

Needs must, I guess: a simple management exercise - 13 + 30 = a lot of writing of names, ranks and Service numbers.

1 named officer is easy.

It seems that Leonard did have previous service:

Name:Leonard Caddick
Enlistment Age:22
Birth Date:abt 1876
Birth Place:Blaenavon Monmouth
Enlistment Year:1898
Regiment:Worcestershire Regt.
Regimental Number:5259
Attestation Paper:Yes

Unfortunately, the Attestation Papers are on another site that I don't have access to, though it's probable that he had Boer War service.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer