WW1 Service History Request

I'm trying to help the wife out researching her relatives. She's using the find my past website and a possible match for a distant relative has cropped up. In order to confirm if this is her relative we'd need a bit more info hopefully a year and place of birth. I'm not sure how accurate the Great War service records would be.

His details are:

Pte Martin Lawless
1st Leinster Regt
KIA France, Feb 14th 1915

If anyone could help out with any other details it would be much appreciated cheers.

It's quite an interesting one (for the wife at least) as Martin Lawless had 2 brothers and 9 sisters. Within the family the 3 boys are never mentioned, only the 9 sisters and the wife had no idea they existed until we found them on the census. Elements of the family are pretty Republican so it wouldn't surprise me if the micks had airbrushed them out of history for serving the evil British Empire.

To be honest you're going to need some luck and a subscription to Ancestry. Most of the Service Records for other ranks in WW1 were destroyed during a Luftwaffe raid in WW2. Only about 40% survive and a lot of these got charred so it will be pot luck if his survives. You can either go to The National Archives (TNA) to flog through the microfilm or Ancestry do have them online.

The TNA reference for the series of service docs that would likely contain his is (link) WO 363/L444 and the page on the TNA catalogue for this points you to Ancestry to see it online.

His medal card is at TNA under reference (link) WO 372/12/16908 but you will pay to get it and it will be a fairly poor black and white copy. Again, Ancestry have better copies, in colour so you might as well get it from there instead.

There will be battalion War Diaries for the unit but these seldom mention Other Ranks by name.
The most likely one to be of use is (link) WO 95/2266/3 covering Dec 1914-Oct 1915 but again you will need to pay to download it

TNA have a really good research guide for WW1 soldiers, at the following link:
TNA Research Guide

Here you go:
30850_A000933-02851-3.jpg

Have some other stuff, but having problems resizing to post here. Send a PM with email address and will pass them on.

Thanks very much chaps, used your info to find his stuff on Ancestry. Plenty there for him just unfortunately not what I was after ie year of birth, names of family or hometown.

I'm trying to help the wife out researching her relatives. She's using the find my past website and a possible match for a distant relative has cropped up. In order to confirm if this is her relative we'd need a bit more info hopefully a year and place of birth. I'm not sure how accurate the Great War service records would be.

His details are:

Pte Martin Lawless
1st Leinster Regt
KIA France, Feb 14th 1915

If anyone could help out with any other details it would be much appreciated cheers.

It's quite an interesting one (for the wife at least) as Martin Lawless had 2 brothers and 9 sisters. Within the family the 3 boys are never mentioned, only the 9 sisters and the wife had no idea they existed until we found them on the census. Elements of the family are pretty Republican so it wouldn't surprise me if the micks had airbrushed them out of history for serving the evil British Empire.
Soldiers Died in the Great War says he was born and enlisted in Dublin.

Soldiers Died in the Great War says he was born and enlisted in Dublin.
Yeah I know, I was wondering if that was duff info given when recruited.

I think the bloke came from a republican family (the one I'm looking for did anyway) and the 3 boys are never mentioned. He appears on the 1911 census aged 20 then vanishes with his 2 brothers into thin air. We know that the 9 sisters emigrated to the US and some later returned, nobody in the family acknowledges any of the boys existence.

The wife mentioned finding him on the census to her ageing mother, she got a bit defensive and said he'd been run over by a lorry.

However there is no death record.

Yeah I know, I was wondering if that was duff info given when recruited.

I think the bloke came from a republican family (the one I'm looking for did anyway) and the 3 boys are never mentioned. He appears on the 1911 census aged 20 then vanishes with his 2 brothers into thin air. We know that the 9 sisters emigrated to the US and some later returned, nobody in the family acknowledges any of the boys existence.

The wife mentioned finding him on the census to her ageing mother, she got a bit defensive and said he'd been run over by a lorry.

However there is no death record.
The service number indicates that he joined up about 1906 so possibly not the lad on the census.

Army Service Numbers 1881-1918: The Leinster Regiment - 1st & 2nd Battalions

Here's a birth entry (239) for a Martin Lawless in Dublin North for 1887.

lawless.png

eta - I read that as 29th December 1887. Father Denis Lawless, Mother Teresa Lawless, need more info to have a good guess at the mother's maiden name and the address.

The 1911 Census on Ancestry shows a Private Martin Lawless serving with 2nd Battalion Leinster Regiment in India.
Aged 23. Born Dublin, St Thomas
That's interesting because by 1914 2/Leinsters were in Cork as part of 6th Division. Sounds like some from the 2nd battalion stayed in India and transferred to the 1st battalion when they swapped.

Here's a birth entry (239) for a Martin Lawless in Dublin North for 1887.

View attachment 357488

eta - I read that as 29th December 1887. Father Denis Lawless, Mother Teresa Lawless, need more info to have a good guess at the mother's maiden name and the address.
The mother's maiden name appears to be Lambe, though the L, which closely resembles the other 'L's on that page, also resembles the T of Teresa, so another possibility is Tombe. (I've discounted Lombe and Tambe, as they are not like any names I've seen.)

Trilby

Clanker
Book Reviewer
Somewhat belatedly I came across Martin Lawless' entry in the Register of Soldier's Effects. It doesn't have the details of date or place of birth you are looking for but it does give his father's name - Denis - and a sister's name, Frances, if that's of any help in confirming the decision to rule him out? (At the very least it firmly links 8000 Martin Lawless with the Martin Lawless in the birth record posted above.)

Last edited: