WW1 Pigeon Tribute!!

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bad CO, Aug 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Just in by email ......

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Out of 63 Dicken Medals awarded Pigeons have won 32, the Dogs are catching up though with 28.

The medal was awarded 54 times between 1943 and 1949 – to 32 pigeons, 18 dogs, three horses, and one cat

3. I, personally, have a real problem with the Dickens Medal.

To me it's just Bambism attributing acts of gallentry and valour to an animal that is incapable of rational thought. They have been conditioned through either possitive or negative enforcement to carry out such responses.

Why not a Ford or Benz medal for a vehicle that has kept going through a battle or a Wright medal for all the bombers that made it back to the UK after having the shit shot out of them!

4. Perhaps just as an acknowledgement of rightful guilt that we humans keep using up the lives of other creatures in our incessant, pointless bloody wars.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Can I just be the first to ask if Speckled Jim got a Dickens medal?

• Like Like x 2
  6. He didn't but Baldrick was put up for a Michelin Star by Blackadder. Understandably, the recommendation was vetoed by Melchett.

• Like Like x 3
  7. It took 5 posts to mention Speckled Jim. For shame.

8. Your world is just filled with rainbows and unicorns isn’t it?

I mean, in the wild, none of these furry little woodland creatures are ever eaten by other furry little woodland creatures.

9. It's the Dickin Medal...

10. I wasn't aware that dogs and horses were furry woodland creatures.

11. It's a shame that after the war the horses that served there were mostly slaughtered and fed to the prisoners.

12. Gout Man

Gout Man LE Book Reviewer

Thought I'd resurrect The Dicken Medal thread. These pooches are doing something I've never done, and I only thought two things fell from the sky!

13. But they do have natural predators.

14. He's in the Parapooch Regiment.

• Like Like x 1