WW1 medals - Recommended retailers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by msr, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I would like to purchase 3 medals (Victory, British and 15 Star) and have them court mounted. Can anyone recommend a good place to get them from.

I have 2 quotes so far: £120.50 and £87.12

2. MSR,

The cost of a trio would depend on the Regiment in which the recipient served; this has a massive say on the price.

I can recommend a place near where I live, themedalcentre.co.uk

It is run by a chap called Andrew Jukes and he is thouroughly reliable. I have made several purchases from him. I think the average cost, again depending on Regt, for a WW1 trio is about £95.

I hope you find what you`re looking for. I collect all types of medals and if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to get in touch.

Good luck.
  3. msr

msr LE

How so? I though these were 'standard' medals.

For the record, my grandfather served in the Royal Flying Corps.

4. MSR,

The value of the medals depends on how saught after they are by collectors. For instance, a trio awarded to a soldier who served alongside someone who was awarded a VC, is worth a great deal more that a set awarded to say, the Army Service Corps. A lot depends on provenance as well of course, collectors will require proof of some sort about anything that sets that particular set above the rest.

As far as your Grandfather would be concerned, his trio will be worth more simply because not as many medals were issued to the RFC/RAF, far fewer served in this arm during it`s fledgling years.

Value, as with anything, is what someone is prepared to pay. It follows that if there is something special about your item, more people/collectors will want it. I collect to the RFC/RAF and am prepared to pay premium prices for certain items, for instance.

Apologies if I appear to be teaching the proverbial to suck eggs.
  5. msr

msr LE

Not at all.

I don't seem to have made myself clear: I am looking to buy replacements for his three medals. The originals have been lost in the passing of time.

6. In that case you could consider replica medals instead of originals. However, a quick Googling (I tried 'replacement WW1 medals') suggests that this may not be any cheaper. On the plus side, you could have them engraved with your grandfathers' details.
  7. msr - I wouldn't contemplating anywhere that price for originals.

Didn't have the time for an in-depth search on ebay, but found this.

Not court mounted, but lots of options for that from other past topics on here for about £4.50 a medal I think.
  8. msr

msr LE

Looking to get replicas. The 2 quotes I have are from 2 adverts in Soldier magazine.

I don't know why the ebay ones are half of the price I was quoted, but I think I will go with the company which has a Royal Appointment and and MOD license number.

9. Because they've had to put time and money into getting a Royal Appointment & MOD license number I guess.

Personally I'd be happy with a company that does nothing but medals and has a 100% feedback of nearly 3500. Oh, and does it for half the money.

I guess you're not a Yorkshireman then? :)
  10. msr

msr LE

11. My great great Grandad was a Gunner in the war, and fought as a regular before the war as well, and was gassed and invalided out in 1917 during passchendael. He has the 14-15 Star, the British War Medal, but lacks the Victory Medal -- despite the fact that my other great great grandfather, who died in 1914 on the Submarine AE1 had the victory medal (posthumously, obviously). Out of interest is it possible to apply for the Victory Medal for him now, and is it likely that he could have been eligible for the Victory Medal?
  12. msr

msr LE

Fortunately not ;)
  13. MSR,

Check PM's for update - I have just been through my grandfather's file.
  14. To qualify for the Victory medal, he had to be mobilised in any service and have entered a theatre of war between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Which he did.

You need to check his medal roll to see if he was actually awarded it (I'm guessing so). You can do this via the National Archives, for a small charge.

If he was never awarded it, then you have to claim it via the MOD medal office.

If he was awarded it, then I guess you need a replacement as its lost. The ebay link I posted above would here there - or the companies that msr is using.

Good luck with the hunt, PM me if you need any further help.