Ww1 Medal Advice Needed.

I have recently inherited my great uncle's WW2 medals, these are away for cleaning and mounting but I have also been making enquiries about the WW1 medals of my great grandfather.
I have been told that WW1 medals are no longer issued and that there is an approved supplier of replacement medals.
My query is around the engraving on the medals - he was eligible for the 14-15 Star, the War Medal and the Victory medal. The medal card says the Star was claimed but it's long gone by now. The other 2 seem unclaimed.
The thing is, although he was killed as 155779, Spr Webb F, he went to war as a corporal, DCLI with a different number.
I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm which details should be engraved on the medals.
Many thanks,

oldbaldy

LE
Not the medal info but I see there was a lot of head scratching going on at RE records because he & his wife called three of their children Frederick & two even had the same middle name!

Not the medal info but I see there was a lot of head scratching going on at RE records because he & his wife called three of their children Frederick & two even had the same middle name!
The boys were all called Frederick after their father, using their middle names in everyday usage. Frederick Denzil was my grandfather. There were 2 with the same middle name, I'm not sure how they got around that.

oldbaldy

LE
Here's how they got round it

Attachments

• Webb.jpg
    Webb.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 121
A very slight thread drift. We were watching Who Do You Think You Are? on telly last with Judi Dench. It showed her father's WW1 medals. One was a white enamelled star on a black ribbon, second one in from the left next to his MC and bar. I tried Google, but there are quite a few.

I'm just curious, but can one of you identify it please?

A very slight thread drift. We were watching Who Do You Think You Are? on telly last with Judi Dench. It showed her father's WW1 medals. One was a white enamelled star on a black ribbon, second one in from the left next to his MC and bar. I tried Google, but there are quite a few.

Do you have a picture or more detailed description?

I wondered that. I was expecting 'the voice' to run through all the medals, especially as there was a double MC on there.

It was a fascinating programme, possibly the best WDYTYA I've seen.

I have recently inherited my great uncle's WW2 medals, these are away for cleaning and mounting but I have also been making enquiries about the WW1 medals of my great grandfather.
I have been told that WW1 medals are no longer issued and that there is an approved supplier of replacement medals.
My query is around the engraving on the medals - he was eligible for the 14-15 Star, the War Medal and the Victory medal. The medal card says the Star was claimed but it's long gone by now. The other 2 seem unclaimed.
The thing is, although he was killed as 155779, Spr Webb F, he went to war as a corporal, DCLI with a different number.
I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm which details should be engraved on the medals.
Many thanks,
His star would have his DCLI details on the reverse, and the others his RE details in all likelihood.

John Reginald Dench was admitted as a serving brother to the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem LG 1 Jan 1946 and was subsequently admitted as a Officer (Serving Brother) LG 7 Jan 1955.

His star would have his DCLI details on the reverse, and the others his RE details in all likelihood.
Thanks very much, that's what my digging seems to say. Some books say the War Medal & Victory Medal should have the highest rank reached & the unit where the rank was held. Most say the same as you though.

The finished articles, delivered last night. Great work by Martin Dale at MJD Medals.

Attachments

• 20211022_095753.jpg
    20211022_095753.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 81
  • 20211022_095653.jpg
    20211022_095653.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23