WW1 German dugout found after 93 years.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by old_bloke, Nov 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never really knew that The Great war didnt hold as much resonance with the German people as it seems to with us.

Any time Ive seen The Trench Detectives or something similar and they trace a German soldier the descendants always seem really pleased and affected by it.

2. Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Must be hundreds of places like this. At least the professionals got in there before the treasure hunters who would have stripped the place and left the bones behind in their rush to collect this stuff or put it on ebay for sad people to buy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for that OB, very interesting. Hopefully they can now be laid to rest with the respect they deserve.

To be fair to the Germans I doubt such a find if it was British would get much of a mention in the British press when there's far more important things to cover like what Lady Gaga is wearing or the latest reality tv 'stars' antics.

I must say I never imagined that troops would be able to keep a goat in such conditions for fresh milk. Every days a school day.

4. We only have the journalist's word for it, which is worthless, IMHO. That part of the article just didn't ring true to me. I think we'll find that they are just as interested as we would be. An amazing find, just the same.

5. Firstly, cheers for the thread, was interesting as having a amateur interest in WW1 due to family. Additionally, like you RI, find it quite amazing that zee Germans aren't interested in their history.

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The difference is that the Germans have nothing to be proud of, rather (and considerably) the reverse.

The goat must have been a great comfort, I say no more.

7. Great stuff, and a timely reminder(if anyone needed one) of the untold 'glory' of the great war.