WW1 Gas mask

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by No_Duff, Dec 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have the face part of (I assume) a Brit WW1 Gas Mask, the only markings I can find on it is this number 631886. Anyone know what this number is and does the mask have a value.

WW1 Gas Mask.jpg

2. I doubt it is worth that much as it is incomplete.

This chap certainly likes them.
    S140.jpg

3. Wonder if it contains Asbestos, like the WW2 British ones did, soldiers had Crocidolite in theirs whilst Civilian ones had Chrysotile. Oh and the snow in the film was Chrysotile so happy fcuking Christmas Bing.

4. Bit of an old thread, but what you have is the facepiece of the American Small Box Respirator (ASBR), it was based on the British Version, however unlike the British version it suffered many problems which resulted in them only being issued for training purposes only which makes them quite rare today. As has already been said, it won't be worth much as its incomplete however you should be able to get at least £20 out of it.

Thanks

Danny

5. I seen a British facepiece for sale last week for £20... and the British ones do seem to be more sought after and more expensive. Typically re-production equipment like is quite expensive due to the time and money used to make it, genuine American Small Box Respirators can be purchased on the US ebay relatively cheaply, although they prices are increasing with the 100th anniversary of WW1 approaching.

Thanks

Danny

6. Very clever how you slipped a dummy round for that rifle into the photo. .303 would have been more authentic though.

7. Four years away...

• Like Like x 1
  8. I was referring to the start of it...

Thanks

Danny

9. So was I. We are referring to American SBRs and US eBay, aren't we?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fair point, however I was thinking that interest in all the nations involved would increase without taking into consideration when they entered the war.

Thanks

Danny