WW1 Diplomatic Notes Question

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Flagrantviolator, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was in the local uni library the other day, reading some very old and quite interesting books from the Imperial War Office ( or somesuch). Most of it had to do with inspections of German POW camps and the treatment of Brits in them. The inspections were carried out by both Brit and American diplomats. The US ambassador always signed off " I have, et c.."
    What is the etcetera? Seems there was standard diplomatic language, but I have no clue what the guy actually "had".

Any thoughts?
  2. I have the honour to be,sir, your most humble and obedient servant. Possibly, or words to that effect.

I have the honour to be, Sir, your most obedient and*humble servant”:*A Desirable Colonial Legacy*

I'd assume this was pre-1917 and the US entry into WW1. I don't think there'd be ambassadors within an enemy nation.
  3. Thanks for that. Yes, I was looking at the volume for 1915.Pretty cool stuff.
  4. The power of ArRse is truly great. I knew I'd get the answer in minutes.In fact, the only question I haven't been able to get an answer for is "when is payday?"