WW1 digs

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bigdumps, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it still possible to dig up and find bits from WW1 battles? I mean, do I need permission to dig?

I am thinking to visit Ypres and other places to try and find bits and pieces.

Grateful for any help!
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My back garden in Alsace needs digging - you have my permission!

Joking aside, the Vosges front is totally overgrown and largely unexplored. I am trying to uncover documentation in French and German without much success for WW1. For WW2 there is some septic information, but no German.
    There is tons of metal sticking out of the ground in the forests and hills, most car boot sales would be interesting to militaria collectors too.

3. Personally, i would be more considerate than stating that i want to just "dig bits up", a lot of people died over there, just throwing spades at them is highly disrespectful, i believe.
  4. Sparkysteve,

Do you think the bodies are still there? I woudnt be so keen to find a skeleton in uniform.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

A hiker found a French army boot in the local forest a couple of years ago - complete with foot....
  6. Wah or mong ?
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't care if he does a good job on the garden..... :wink:
  8. For someone who claims to be "interested in WW1" your very un-informed, either that or some sort of disrespectful twat, or someone on the wind up.

Leave the fallen be, there is no need to disturb them 90 years after the event, just to see if you can sell on their bones.
  9. I can state unequivocally that all bodies from WW1 and WW2 have now been dug up. I can also state that then remains of WW! and WW2 soldiers discovered almost every week somewhere on the France/Belgium border are a figment of someones imagination.
    What a fcuknig question.
  10. Craftsman,

That is exactly what I thought. I would have believed it rather odd for bodies to still be there.

Steve, keep your bonnet on eh? I was being flippant.

Oh yes, I was being a mong! albeit, unintended.
  11. Bigdumps, read his reply properly.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't forget there are an awful lot "missing in action" at every WW1 battlefield.....
  13. Ha, sorry steve.

But still, I see your point about it being disrespectful, and the last thing I want to do is to cause any upset on this issue.

I mean, I want to explore the battlefields and if I find something then great I thank you for bringing up the ethical problem, it really didnt occur to me.
  14. Just touchy is all, the fallen should stay so, they are at peace now.
  15. Steve, I completely agree, to be fair, I suppose I was hoping to find bits of shrapnel, maybe a few bullets etc

And I would never, ever even consider selling on any finds, that is truly nauseating.

Alsacien, are you offering me a free holiday in exchange for a bit of digging :lol: