WW1 compass spotted in Melbourne Antiques shop, 8th Gurkha's with owner's name

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by tempuser, Mar 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I spotted a WW1 compass in an Antiques shop in Melbourne, Australia, thought I'd mention it here in case anyone was interested.

The label states:
    "WW1 Verner's pattern MKVIII miltary compass. Dated 1917. In very good condition with mother of pearl dial, the brass lid retains most of its original black finish, a strong hinge with brass knob on the side for transit locking of dial. In a leather case with the name of the original owner Captain AM Kennedy 8th Gurkhas. In good working order, a fine, clean example of a WW1 prismatic marching compass with a little history.
    $750 AUD".

I also took a photo, attached.

The shop website is : Home

View attachment 69262

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

If you haven't got permission from the site owners to advertise on here your account's going to last about 5 minutes. Just saying

3. There are a few arrsers who have a interest in WW1 items.

If you are Melbourne Antiques, then be up front.

I have a interest in British/Commonwealth WW1 uniforms, webbing, tools etc.

Send me a PM of what you have.

4. Hi,

just to clarify; I'm not Melboune Antiques and have no connection. I was in there at the weekend with the Mrs (we go in about once a month) and spotted this item. Since it had a name and "Gurkhas" on it I thought there may be a forum where I could let someone know, so did a google search and ended up here.

5. Captain Angus Menzies Kennedy went on to win a MC, gazetted 1-1-19. A brief bio:

He was commissioned again in 1940, into the Gordons. Whether he then became Lt Col or had been Lt Col before retiring in '35 is unclear.

• Like Like x 1