WW1 Centenary Rememberance Plans

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldbaldy, Oct 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

BBC News - WWI centenary remembrance plans to be unveiled

Must admit I thought this lot would hope it just passed without mention!

2. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

3. Stand by for 4 long years of ill-informed bollix, cloying sentimentality and the hijacking of history in support of various agenda.

• Like Like x 8
  4. I applaud the decision to do something, but would like a small amount of the money they are pledging to be diverted to finish off paying the WWII Bomber Command memorial costs.

5. "…BBC political correspondent Iain Watson says that while Mr Cameron wants to use his speech to talk to young people about commemorating the past, the year 2014 also has a contemporary significance.…"

What's this CMD wrapping himself in the flag in 2014 for political ends?
    Hmmmm, his big plans wouldn't be influenced by the fact he will also be contesting a rather painful General Election and facing getting his P45 only a matter months after Remembrance Day 2014?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh great, you mean like the Titanic centenary with more woolen uniforms....looking forward to that me!

7. 2014 or 2018. Commemorate the begining, or Remember the end. There is a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thursday, 11 October 2012 - The Royal British Legion -

WORLD WAR I CENTENARY TO BRING NATION TOGETHER, SAYS LEGION

The Royal British Legion welcomes Prime Minister David Cameron’s announcement of support for World War I centenary observations, saying the anniversary “will bring the nation together as one in Remembrance.”

Chris Simpkins, the Legion’s Director General, said:

“The tragic events of 1914-1918 have left a deep imprint on the fabric of the nation. As the Custodian of Remembrance, the Legion will ensure that the centenary will be observed across the UK – the costs of sacrifice and the lessons learned in this dreadful conflict must not be forgotten.”

Mr Simpkins said it was fitting that central government would provide support for national and international commemorations, while leaving it up to voluntary membership organisations such as The Royal British Legion to decide on local observances.

“The losses of World War I were felt in every town and village across the UK, as demonstrated by the monuments found in nearly every village green or churchyard,” he said. “It is right and proper that the centenary has a strong local flavour.”

The Royal British Legion has been working in partnership alongside organisations such as the Imperial War Museum and the Prime Minister’s special envoy for centenary observances, Dr Andrew Murrison MP.
    “Founded in the aftermath of World War I, the Legion has faithfully kept Remembrance and reminded the nation of its collective debt to those who Serve, which the Legion expresses through its on-going support and campaigning on behalf of our Armed Forces family,” said Mr. Simpkins.
    "We will be working alongside partner organisations to ensure that the events of a century ago, and their enduring relevance for today, are not forgotten.”
    The Royal British Legion was founded in 1921 when ex-Service organisations arising from World War 1 joined together to provide relief and to campaign for jobs and housing. “Today, nearly a century later, the Legion continues to stand shoulder to shoulder with all who Serve,” added Mr Simpkins.

“The principles on which the Legion was founded remain as relevant today as they were in the aftermath of World War I – in fact, they are to be found in the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant which the Legion recently helped pass into law.”

As Custodian of Remembrance, the Legion raises public awareness of the sacrifice and service of the British Armed Forces, facilitates Remembrance events to allow the nation to pay its respects and ensures people of all ages can learn of the debt we owe to those who have served and those still serving.

It organises events such as the Two Minute Silence, the Festival of Remembrance and the Cenotaph march past; it maintains the National Memorial Arboretum as the UK’s year-round centre of Remembrance and it reaches 2.5m young people each year with Remembrance learning resources provided freely to schools and youth organisations. It also organises the annual Poppy Appeal to encourage Remembrance while raising much-needed funds for the support of the Armed Forces community.

“Remembrance connects what has gone before with what lies ahead – if we learn by remembering, we can shape a better future,” said Mr Simpkins.

“We saw the UK come together in the unforgettable summer of 2012 through the joyous national celebrations of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic Games,” he added. “We believe that November 2014 will bring the nation together once again, perhaps to a more solemn purpose, but one no less unifying.”

9. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

I know we go on about the 'Auld Alliance', however my French begins and ends with 'Vin Blanc' and 'Vin Rouge', could you provide a brief precis , please? However if it was in the language of the master race I would be all over it, with appropriate comedy accent.

10. As we are British and declared war on the 4th of August, wouldn't commemorations be more suitable on the actual anniversary of the kick off?

11. I'd prefer to see a smaller commemoration in 2014 and a big do in 2018. But that wouldn't suit Dave's plans as he might not be in the seat of power then.

• Like Like x 3

12. Yes and Yes!!

13. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Just watched a piece on BBC lunchtime news with an Arrser looking very serious!!

14. My personal vote would be for a small event in 2014, and a major national event in 2016 to mark the Anniversary of the first day of the Somme, the day that absolutely drives home the utter futility of WWI, and a big event for 2018.