WW1 Capt re-enlisting as WW2 Gnr

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by alfred_the_great, Sep 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Strolling thru my local CWG today I noticed the headstone of a Gnr (with MC) who had previously been a Capt in the Rifle Brigade. How common was this kind of re-enlistment?

2. Percy Hobart was retired by Churchill as a Major general in 1941 (I think) and elevated to the rank of Lance Corporal in his local Home Guard before being recalled to command 79th Armoured Division. At least one WW1 Corps Commander also served as an NCO in the Home Guard (Congreve or Maxse? I can't remember).

3. In Tommy, Richard Holmes tells of a chap who joined as a Private and ended WW1 as an Officer (quite a senior one) then rejoind for Round 2 as a Private again and ended up with another commission.

• Like Like x 1
  4. He was.
    "He was fighting an Italian tank crew single-handedly armed only with a revolver."

He would have been 73 at that time.

5. msr

msr LE

6. After that he bullied,threatened and cajoled MTB captains to take him across the Adriatic to fight with Tito.
    He is buried in Kineton church Warwickshire near the armaments depot.

7. To be fair though, a TV character - so you can write it as strange as you like

(notwithstanding the actors war service, but only in one war)