WW1 Campaign Medals questions

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by steven seagull, Sep 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all,

I'm helping Mrs S's grandad out and need a bit of help with finding out some info.

His aunt recently passed away and he's come across a 'Wilfred' and a 'Squeak' belonging to her father, no sign of a 'pip' though.

Impressed on the side is his service number, rank, name and unit.

22143.1.A.M. GW Askham. RFC.

I assume RFC is Royal Flying Corp but what's the rank and does anyone know where I can find a bit more info out on the chap as we have no photos and know precious little about the fella.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll be chucking some cash at Hols 4 Heroes of course.

2. Check out National Archives online.

There will be a medal index card and possibly some service records available.

Alternatively contact a guy called Kevin Asplin The Asplin Military History Resources

He is a top researcher and very cheap, he'll dig out whatever there is.

MM

3. If he joined 1916 onwards he wouldn't have qualified for either of the two Stars 1914 (Mons Star) or 1914/15 Star.

4. Cheers Mitt Mayo,

I really should have thought of PM'g you in the first place.

Duh.

5. Cheers for looking mate, my access to the internet is limited where I am (strangley typing arrse into the search engine doesn't cause any dramas?)

Do you know what the rank is? Where there any other units with the initials RFC?

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

AM possibly refers to "Airman Mechanic"

7. AM could mean Airman not sure though, check the medal index cards but they will not hold much info, very sparse but something may crop up.

RCGJ