WW1 bayonets

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by skid2, Apr 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

In a weird twinge of consience a relative (idiot) decided that a pair of WW1 sword bayonets would look better chromed.
    Brass and steel can they be unchromed, dechromed, exchromed or whatever it's called safely?
    Thank you

2. Try google

3. Yes chrome is merely a plating however it will take specialsts to do it properly.

4. It can be done at home. If you don´t get the process right or use too much acid it can be very dangerous,even mixing the "ingredients" can be FATAL if done in the wrong order! My advice contact a surface treatment firm and pay to have it done before you end up with a Darwin award

• Like Like x 2
  5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Reason I asked is there used to be tons of places in NI and Shorts and the shipyard were just government funded places to get stuff done.
    Nowdays this is not the case and the closest I've been told of is the London Chrome Co.
    Thank you, no, I'm not in the least bit interested in doing it in the bath.

6. What went wrong? Did they look shite or did they not chrome up very well? Got any pics?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Unless they're very rare or of sentimental value, it would be cheaper to replace them.
    They've been damaged, you'll never restore the original finish, flog them on E-bay.

8. You can't put bayonets on ebay. Skid 2, post a pic, i may be interested.

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Plenty of bayonets on Ebay today.

10. I have been asked to 'Clean up' a 1913 bayonet, do not want to ruin the thing, anyone done this before ?? I was thinking of just removing the surface rust and leaving a nice hand finish rather than plating it. I may post a pic but then again may forget as I am sehr alt.

11. Sorry, should have clarified. You can't list a bayonet (or knife or sword etc) from the UK, note all bayonets on Ebay today are from overseas. USA, France etc.

12. The old green jacket bugler sword's were chromed. Have you got any pictures of your pair? Im trying to find a place that will do mine.

13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Photo this afternoon. Before they go off to get dechromed (I know. Holy thread revival)
    It turns out they're French Ww1 sword bayonets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Skid, take round to your local Orange Lodge as many of them use these bayonets as 'swords' for the regalia and I've seen a few chromed.

15. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

image.jpeg Chassepots or yataghan they should be coming home with brass handles.