WW1 Battlefield Tours

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by pongo6863, Oct 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If anyone wants to do a tour of the WW1 battlefields you won't do better than to to start at the Varlet Farm B&B.

Varlet Farm is in Poelkapelle near Ypres (Ieper) and is located right on what was the front line. The B&B is run by the Cardoen-Descamps family and Charlotte, the mother, speaks excellent English and provides delicious apple cake and tea or coffee to all on arrival. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. Breakfast, with many local and home-made items (ham, cheese, jam, etc.) has to be seen (and eaten) to be believed! The website address is: www.varletfarm.com/.

The original farm was destroyed when it was captured by the 'Hood Battalion', Royal Naval Division assisted by the Artists Rifles and the Bedfordshire Regiment. A frighteningly comprehensive collection of artifacts ploughed up over the years is on display in a small museum housed in one of the barns. Battlefield tours are run by the family and Charlotte in particular has an encyclopedic knowledge of the actions in the area.

I can't praise the place enough and thoroughly recommend it, not only as part of a WW1 battlefield tour but also as a good trans-channel overnighter (it's an hour from the tunnel and the channel ports).
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You got shares in the place then? Theres a very active WW1 tour group in the Military History forum if you're interested.
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I see you're posting this all over the place, so you have got shares then. It's considered pretty bad form to use these forums for advertising without asking the CO's first.
  4. No, I don't have shares and I'm just trying to help. We had such a good time...

Thanks for the info.