WW1 Battle of Verdun - interested?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Alsacien, Apr 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm taking a small group to Verdun over Easter, museums/battlefields the usual stuff.
    If anyone has any requests or info they would like let me know, can also post some pictures if there is interest.

Of particular interest to those in the US is the cemetery there - the biggest US cemetery in Europe with more than 14,000 US military from the Argonne offensive in WW1:

American Battle Monuments Commission

If anybody would like anything specific let me know, I have photographed gravestones and burial records for arrser's before - not a problem.

2. Could you please take a photo of every headstone for me?

3. If you post some pictures of your tour that would be great. I don't need a picture of every headstone in the U.S. Cemetary but if you take a photo in the chapel that would be nice.:thumright:

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Will do.

Detailed info here:

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/ma_pict.pdf

5. Thanks! (Ten Characters)

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The US one in Epinal is also worth a visit if you are interested in the WW2 US [and French] advance from the Cote d'Azur through to Alsace/Blackforest.

Needless to say, there are many, many cemetaries, memorials and preserved battlefields in the area from WW1 and WW2.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Highly likely that Arrsers will be running another tour there in 2012.

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm only just over an hour away at my place as I type this and I'll be up there tomorrow morning, if anyone needs any help/info now or in the future just ping me - also for the southern front down to Basel.

10. Aisne Marne Cemetery

Attached Files:

11. Chateau Thierry, The ossuary and Suippes

Attached Files:

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator