WW1 attestation paper query.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by joey_deacons_lad, Mar 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have today signed up for the free trial at ancestry.com and have been looking up some service records. I found a copy of a relatives attestation papers of somebody I think I have already determined was killed, my question is does the stamp saying dead mean died in service?
    Possibly a stupid question but im asking in order to clear any remaining doubt.
    Edited to actually post the damn thing.
    attestation paper.jpg
  2. John Draycott is listed as Died 23/11/18 11th Bn Cheshire Regiment. Died usually means Disease, possibly spanish Flu victim
  3. I found out he was the bloke im after, but didn't know the stamp meant disease, I thought he might have been wounded earlier on.
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Have you seen the letter from his father in 1928. In it he says his son died in a Belgian hosptial after being released from a German POW camp.
    Other records show he was reporting missing in April 1918 and it looks as if he was confirmed as a POW in the October, also some interesting correspondence between the hospital and Records where the original notification for his death was the day before he was supposedly admitted!
    Records show he died of pneumonia.
  5. Where would I find such letters? A chat with my Grandad, Pte Draycotts nephew has confirmed the POW status. Thanks for the contributions thus far.
    Edit. I can see it now, sorry for asking such bone questions, i am a complete novice at this
  6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I take it you've found it on ancestry, a real wealth of information about him there.
  7. Yeah, its pretty good, his brother was kia in 1917 and i found he was commemorated in a church but they have his regiment wrong. So making them aware of that is a little task I have set myself
  8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

That happened quite a few times, local memorials were generally put in place by local committees in the 20s. This has given some mistakes, I've found one on a memorial where the unit is wrong, the memorial says RN, he was actually South African Infantry! Even War Graves Commission could be wrong, after research I found my great uncle's name with them was wrong but give them their due after I pointed it out, with documentary evidence, their records were changed and his name on the Menin Gate amended.