WW II / Cold war - Walking stick camera in handle / ejecting blade at other end.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Hermes_R12, Dec 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

A neighbour has asked me about this object which has been in their family for a few years. Apparently the blade shot out the end when they were messing about it the handle. They have not been able to replicate since when the blade was put away. They knew about the camera but said it was 'bloody lethal'. they don't know much about the original owner and came across it whilst doing house clearance. I haven't seen it yet but hope to have a look at the weekend,

I'm thinking this might be an SOE object or similar. Anyone got any ideas where I cold find out about it and get it valued etc.

Cheers

2. All sounds a bit James Bond to me!

3. Yes it does but wasn't Ian Fleming in Intelligence before coming an Author ?

4. They need to be a bit careful about who they show it to as any "sword stick" type items are frowned upon by Inspector Knacker LINK

It could be one of those situations that relatives who find that there is a rifle or pistol in a house that is a deceased persons property. IIRC, some of those cases have got very messy

5. Many thanks for that Bonzo good link :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Gadget canes, sword or otherwise, were quite popular amongst a sub-set of toff and later toff walts. The most common survivals are the whiskey/tippler cane, the telescope cane and the more often than not poorly executed sword canes.

If you are saying that the blade extends through the bottom ferrule either by spring or by twist of the cane body, then you are defining a form that was associated with both Germany and Italy. In those instances, the blade is actually quite small, as the cane becomes a "spear" rather than a sword. Think springer or OTF knife at end of the cane. Trigger mechanisms very and a hidden trigger on the handle is not uncommon. Very small blades, quad or tri in cross-section, tapering to a point and deployed through the ferrule, are actually a novelty form of alpenstock. They are not designed as a weapon, although you will be unable to argue this successfully if you are stopped. There were also several inherent vices to the engineering that ensured their lack of popularity.

How are we doing? If you posted a photo, that would nail some of this down.

Camera canes are much less common and shift towards the German/Swiss side of things. If the camera is a single photo form (single piece of film inserted for exposure), then its either an earlier form or a less expensive version. If the camera has the ability to advance to multiple shots, then you have a nicer version.

SOE is a bit romantic.

Given your description and the lack of photo, I would lean towards a novelty alpenstock with camera for the rambler with more cash than sense. Very nice.

7. Many thanks for your comprehensive answer any idea what the value would be. Hopefully i'll see it this weekend and try and get a photograph of it.

Forgot to mention the blade is about 7' long and goes into a sharp point (hope the sharp point isn't stating the obvious)

8. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

A seven inch blade is a significant length. If that is correct, then scratch the alpenstock.

Please do post the photograph when available, it will clarify things quite a bit.

Value on authentic, functional and antique gadget canes can be very high.I would take precautions to keep it safe.

9. The one in this pic is missing the chain/strap. The chain/strap was vital in the use of these at it was the exact length of the focal distance to photograph documents in darkened offices. When in use the camera was held above the object being photo'ed with the dangly end of the chain resting on the item being photo'ed providing the correct focal distance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. They are fantastically engineered as well.

11. Mines 9 inches long
    jim