WW I Pictures

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Trip_Wire, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. Some quality photo's there TW. The quality is amazing, and in colour makes it more "real" if you know what I mean.

At least the French in WWI managed to keep hold of their rifles!

3. Fantastic pictures.

Never seen colour pictures from the Great War before. Have they been remastered or where they originaly colour?

It really highlights the age gap isn't so great when you see them like that as opposed to the usual blurry black and white.

I'll bet you could compare quite a few of those pictures to current pictures and see the basic squaddie isn't that different at all despite a gap of 90 years.

Any more?

4. Further to my last, here's some more;

WW1 in colour

(Most of Trippys pics appear here too)

5. Its a hand-tinting process, flashy. The evenness of the colours is a clue.
    Can't decide if its been done digitally or traditionally tho'.

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Great photos

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Theres a DVD out there called WW1 in colour. It has been colourised from BW footage. Very well done too. Brings it all to life in a way not possible before. Lent it to a mate in Oz and forgot to get it back before I left. Reccomend it if you can find it.

Found it on Amazonhere

8. Many photos from The Great War have been coloured using a variety of techniques however colour photography did exist prior to the war. Some of those pictures, especially the French ones, are original colour phots.

Colour phots from The Great War

9. Acording to Flashy's site it seems the pictures were originally in colour:

"Although color photography was around prior to 1903, the Lumière brothers, Auguste and Louis, patented the process in 1903 and developed the first color film in 1907. The French army was the primary source of color photos during the course of World War One."

10. Touché ouyin. Didn't get time to look at that bit. The process is described on the wiki link. The overall effect is akin to hand tinting and exhibits some of its drawbacks like colour leaching (which is what threw me).

Did they really wear blue puttees?

11. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Very good link that. Fantastic pictures.

Yes, they did wear blues puttees.