• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

WW 2 souvenirs

:wink: Just been give a couple of Items that my Grandad brought back from the Second world war, I have no history of where he was only that my father thinks he was in the Devon's and my have been Airborne

Was wondering if the power of ARRSE can once again save my ARRSE as Ive boasted :oops: to my dad that I will be able to get them Identified on here

Sorry for the size :wink:

The obvious answer to the first one would be some form of Kriegsmarine Dress wear; other than that I don't have a clue, but someone on here will do.

If you're interested, 12th Devons were indeed Airborne - they were an Airlanding Battalion (i.e. glider riders) with 6th Airlanding Brigade, 6th Airborne Division. They fought in Normandy, the Ardennes and in Germany, finishing the war on the Baltic coast, near Luebeck. Does that fit with your grand-dad's story?

blind662 said:
Thanks for that signalman, will have to find out more from my father as I don't know very much about his service record
blind, can you spell out the markings on the Navy dagger?
to help me out my goggle misery...

para_medic said:
blind662 said:
Thanks for that signalman, will have to find out more from my father as I don't know very much about his service record
Not a problem it says E.u.F.HORSTER-SOLINGEN

This might be of interest:
Kriegsmarine Officer's Dagger (Item KRIEG 3-5)

DESCRIPTION: Here is a nice, clean German naval dagger in very good condition. Hilt is perfect, Eickhorn blade clean. The maritime engraving perfect, scabbard, nice with minor (door-slam) dents. This is usual of course and expected. This one is about as nice as you can usually find. It was as late as 1938 that the NS government decided that the German naval dagger should bear the national eagle and swastika. Rather than subject naval officers who already owned the ball-top, round-pommel dagger to the expense of purchasing a completely new piece, it was decided to redesign only the pommel that could replace the round one with simply screwing it off and on went the eagle! This order became effective April 20, 1938, the Führer's birthday. This is a nice textbook example.
http://www.germaniainternational.com/navy3.html

blind662 said:
para_medic said:
blind662 said:
OK, so enter Hörster and Marinedolch or Marine Dolch or Kriegsmarine Dolch etc when you search on google - some quite pricey, well, for septics anyway.
Great items.

blind662 said:
para_medic said:
blind662 said:
SOLINGEN (the place ) is well known for knife and cutlery manufacture, so it's probably a mass production thing the second one.

Like the first one though.

blind662 said:
http://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com/catalogue/consignment/25519.html

Think this could be the baby :thumleft:
That's a very tasty piece of kit, although it appears to have a Damascus blade. I wonder if these chivs were made in different qualities?

MsG

Latest Threads