WW 1 / WW2 SERVICE RECORDS

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by niallhall, Aug 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I seem to recall reading that the Public Records Office have now posted service records covering WW 1 - anyone know a link to get to the site quickly, and does anyone know if WW2 records are on-line or available soon ?

I have Great Grandfathers, Grandfathers and Great Uncles medals and would like more information on their service. They served in the Green Howards - anyone know a website address for the Regimental Museum (in Richmond North Yorks IIRC).

2. The PRO only have up the service medals documents up for WW1 and Navy Medals for WW2
    They also have a number of incidental military documents on line so you could try there.
    But I think if you want to see the full records then its a trip to the archives!

PRO Documents online

I don't think there is an offical web page for the Green Howards but the friends of the regiment website does contain a detailed page on the Museum and who to contact if you want to do some research.

Museum Page

3. msr

msr LE

I have the contact details for a researcher who is very good, and very reasonably priced.

PM me for details.

msr

4. Which battalion? I know a bit about the Green Howards in ww1. I led a school party from North Yoerkshire around the West Front based on the Green Howards.

This site has the basic information about which battalions fought where. http://www.1914-1918.net/yorks.htm

5. Castlereagh just type Green Howards into Google and go for the one organised by the Friends of the Green Howards. Brilliant Regt site.

6. I just had a look at that site and to my eyes it really is very good. Splendid photographs from Canada, NW Frontier, India, as well as the latest news: "OLD AND NEW DRUM MAJORS ARE BOTH DARLINGTON MEN". Great stuff! Something very... British in its justified local pride.

7. And this pack of Trotskyist-lite ******* that call themselves a Government want to destroy it.

8. Which battalion? I know a bit about the Green Howards in ww1. I led a school party from North Yoerkshire around the West Front based on the Green Howards.

This site has the basic information about which battalions fought where. http://www.1914-1918.net/yorks.htm[/quote]

Thanks for the assistance everyone - unfortunately I don't know which Battalion (or Battalions) they served with - I'm going from army number and details from their medals. They all died while I was still young and prior to my own army service so I never had a chance to ask.

My Great Uncle (also my Godfather) served in India around 1938 (hence his North West Frontier clasp), was evacuated from Dunkirk (this is something I need to confirm), and in the 8th Army (western Desert and Italy). Don't know if this helps pin down his battalion or not.

My Great Grandfather appears to have served early in WW1 in France but I know was badly wounded and lost an arm - I suspect fairly early in that war as he "only" had 3 medals and all were general campaign or service medals, non-specific to particular events or battles.

My Grandfather was a Gunner - served in Burma, and other than that I know very little.

9. hello mate pm me . i have applied this week for grandfathers (both) service records!

10. i have there phone no , if your interseted? as all records are now held centrally in glasgow.