Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WuFlu - Anti Vaxxers

Will you get the Vaccine?

• Total voters

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is this the time to mention Dihydrogen Monoxide?

It’s pretty nasty stuff that the government / chemical / medical / heavy industries pump out into the environment, forcing us to ingest the muck.

Whatever floats your boat

Bob65

War Hero
I'm wondering if all these people that will be refusing vaccines - of any kind, which apparently is their right to do, will also be refusing the treatment for whichever illnesses they succumb to as a result of not being vaccinated?
Or are the treatment drugs somehow OK where the vaccine drugs are not....

But it's not a black and white choice is it? I've had loads of vaccines, the usual lot you get as a kid, and the usual lot for traveling in the third world. Maybe 10? And they were all normal vaccines that went through the normal process of development which takes a few years. And the treatment drugs, whatever they are, have also gone through the same kind of approvals. So yes, the treatment drugs are "somehow" OK because they have been proved safe over years and the COVID vaccine is not because it hasn't. I don't think is an unreasonable position to take.

The COVID vaccine has been rushed though, and those like Kier Starmer who are saying it should be mandatory haven't volunteered themselves and their families for the trials have they?

Chef

LE
I expect the politicos to be first in line to get vaccinated.

This will reassure the public that it is not only the right thing to do but also that it is safe. The MMR campaign gained a lot of traction when Mr Blair refused to say whether his son Leo had received it rather than three separate vaccines despite being repeatedly pressed on the point.

Oh and no getting your relatives to stand in for you:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
But it's not a black and white choice is it? I've had loads of vaccines, the usual lot you get as a kid, and the usual lot for traveling in the third world. Maybe 10? And they were all normal vaccines that went through the normal process of development which takes a few years. And the treatment drugs, whatever they are, have also gone through the same kind of approvals. So yes, the treatment drugs are "somehow" OK because they have been proved safe over years and the COVID vaccine is not because it hasn't. I don't think is an unreasonable position to take.

The COVID vaccine has been rushed though, and those like Kier Starmer who are saying it should be mandatory haven't volunteered themselves and their families for the trials have they?
The treatment for Covid hasn't been proved safe over a number of years though - but presumably you'd be happy to accept the treatment if you succumbed to Covid?

Obviously your choice and i'm not criticising you for it, it's just a position I myself would find hard to justify.

Bob65

War Hero
The treatment for Covid hasn't been proved safe over a number of years though - but presumably you'd be happy to accept the treatment if you succumbed to Covid?

Obviously your choice and i'm not criticising you for it, it's just a position I myself would find hard to justify.

What is the treatment for COVID? I actually don't know, there was a lot of hype about ventilators early on but then it turned out that we had more than enough. Is it a common antiviral like Aciclovir? If so sure, dose me up, that's proven safe and is very cheap.

But this is all hypothetical because I am under 80 and the chances are if I get it there will be no noticeable symptoms anyway. I may already have had it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What is the treatment for COVID? I actually don't know, there was a lot of hype about ventilators early on but then it turned out that we had more than enough. Is it a common antiviral like Aciclovir? If so sure, dose me up, that's proven safe and is very cheap.

But this is all hypothetical because I am under 80 and the chances are if I get it there will be no noticeable symptoms anyway. I may already have had it.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC

My bold. No idea, but I have been hearing that vitimin D is a good deterrent. I believe everybody in Nursing Homes are about to get free dosage.

Three years ago I collapsed at work, I then spent three days in bed asleep and was as week as a kitten and off work for over three months. I lost nearly three stone in weight (that I couldn't afford to lose.) The reason? Simple exhaustion, I was working three jobs, averaging 80 hours a week, and my vitimin levels had dropped to dangerous levels. It was a tough road to get better and I am still one stone short of my optimum weight.

I have been taken vitimin supplements since then, especially vitimin D in the winter months. My last (and final) blood test was three weeks ago and I am fine, (except for my weight) but I am slightly high on vitimin D and to be honest, I will remain a bit high now, since I hear that it may be a Covid stopper.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

I've been thinking about this general position - and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, so please don't take it personally...
I took the dogs out for their daily walk in some woodland earlier, at weekends theres quite a few 18-30 year olds that use it for BMX type cycle tracks, usually theres 8-12 people there at most, since lockdown that has steadily increased, i'd estimate there were around 35-40 there today. One of the 'regulars' who I know only by sight was bemoaning that a lot of newcomers were turning up with only a helmet & gloves, no knee & elbow pads, no back & neck supports etc. I began to think how risk-averse we have become as a species, what has happened to the 'spirit of adventure', pushing the boundaries, doing things for the 'greater good'? People like Amundsen, Scott, Marie Curie, Johnson Beharry, Spitfire & Hurricane pilots - hell, even Galileo put himself at risk of death to forward scientific understanding!
What about all the chemists, botanists and plain people that thought 'could I?' or 'What if?' You know, the ones that found out that Foxgloves are poisonous, that cows milk is safe to drink, the difference between mushrooms & toadstools and which we can eat, that Asprin can be made from silver birch trees, the ones that found that cancer can be treated with radiation, that sort of thing.
As far as I can tell, medicine has moved on in leaps and bounds since the days of Thalidomide, I really think that if we, as a species, want to live past our 'design life' of 45 years or so, we should accept that medical assistance comes with some 'risk' - what right do we have to expect every single medical process, procedure or drug to be intrinsically and absolutely safe, just so we can log on here and grumble about the latest snowflakery for a few more years unless we are prepared to take a share of the risk so that the majority can benefit?
I think its more than a bit selfish.

Bob65

War Hero
I really think that if we, as a species, want to live past our 'design life' of 45 years or so, we should accept that medical assistance comes with some 'risk' - what right do we have to expect every single medical process, procedure or drug to be intrinsically and absolutely safe, just so we can log on here and grumble about the latest snowflakery for a few more years unless we are prepared to take a share of the risk so that the majority can benefit?

Three score years and ten, so sayeth the good book.

As you say it's about evaluating the risk and here's what it is: a virus that is of minimal risk, vs a vaccine that the manufacturers have preemptively washed their hands of liability for

“This is a unique situation where we as a company simply cannot take the risk if in ... four years the vaccine is showing side effects,” Ruud Dobber, a member of Astra’s senior executive team, told Reuters

4 years is still less than the development period for most vaccines. Majority benefitting is one thing, boosting the profits of shareholders is something entirely different.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Three score years and ten, so sayeth the good book.

As you say it's about evaluating the risk and here's what it is: a virus that is of minimal risk, vs a vaccine that the manufacturers have preemptively washed their hands of liability for

4 years is still less than the development period for most vaccines. Majority benefitting is one thing, boosting the profits of shareholders is something entirely different.
Buy a shedload of Astra Zenica shares right now, and sell them quickly in 3 1/2 years.

Edited to add. No, dont bother. Just had a look at what is happening with the share price, it seems that the current price is about as high as it is forecasted to get.

I am not qualified to give financial advice...

Last edited:
Is this the time to mention Dihydrogen Monoxide?

It’s pretty nasty stuff that the government / chemical / medical / heavy industries pump out into the environment, forcing us to ingest the muck.
Said compound with Hydrogen-2 or -3 Isotopes in significant proportion is certainly not good to ingest.
And inhalation of any form in the liquid phase is easily fatal...

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Said compound with Hydrogen-2 or -3 Isotopes in significant proportion is certainly not good to ingest.
And inhalation of any form in the liquid phase is easily fatal...
Not to mention its solid form causes numerous deaths and injuries every year, forcing authorities the world over to spend billions on mitigation.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Your complaints are nonsense and you don't know anything about vaccines. Enjoy your COVID!

People getting upset about the anti-vaxxers have no right to.

Anti-vaxxers and general conspiracy theories are what happens when people lose trust in an institution or people in that institution and, let's face it, those in authority, including the medical types, have been making fools of themselves for years.

A quick review of the highlights in no particular order includes:

1. Non-existent Satanic abuse crisis followed by an institutional ignoring of extensive rape gangs across the country.
2. Death by eggs.
3. Death by beef burger.
4. Serial denial of Gulf War Syndrome.
5. Institutional opposition to Brexit featuring one of the most cynical info ops ever perpetrated on the British people.
6. Man-Made Climate Change.
7. Tony Blair's Foot and Mouth holocaust.
8. Dodgy dossiers and the Iraq War.
9. Alcohol hysteria
10. Fat people hysteria

I'm sure there are others but essentially, the powers that be have lost the right to be automatically believed and I truly wonder at the simplicity of anyone who believes that public servants are driven by their perception of the greater public good.

Anyone comfortable with the profoundly illiberal idea of the government having the right to inject citizens with whatever, whenever, as they deem fit, needs to give their head a very serious wobble the next time they're ironing their armband.

In 2003, as a result of the First Gulf War cock up, everyone going to Iraq was given the choice to be vaccinated against anthrax or not, with those opting not to be vaccinated getting a very clear briefing on how the triage would work if we got slimed. That is the right approach. Don't whine about it, convince me (I had the anthrax jabs).

Our ruling and professional classes have been talking serial bollox on arrogant permasend for decades. If the powers that be now have to make a huge effort persuading people, let it be a reminder to them the next time that lying looks like the easy option, that abusing a position of trust has consequences and they have no-one to blame but themselves if they're now background noise.

Our ruling and professional classes have been talking serial bollox on arrogant permasend for decades. If the powers that be now have to make a huge effort persuading people, let it be a reminder to them the next time that lying looks like the easy option, that abusing a position of trust has consequences and they have no-one to blame but themselves if they're now background noise.
Here's another group of so called "Medical Experts", that were complicit in the death of a 22 year old woman though incompetence.

Not all these "Experts" are experts, and some are just clueless f*ckwits.

3ToedSloth

War Hero
Anyone comfortable with the profoundly illiberal idea of the government have the right to inject citizens with whatever, whenever, as they deem fit, needs to give their head a very serious wobble the next time they're ironing their armband.
That's only happening in your mind.
In 2003, as a result of the First Gulf War cock up, everyone going to Iraq was given the choice to be vaccinated against anthrax or not, with those opting not to be vaccinated getting a very clear briefing on how the triage would work if we got slimed. That is the right approach. Don't whine about it, convince me (I had the anthrax jabs).
And you have the personal choice now too.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My bold. No idea, but I have been hearing that vitimin D is a good deterrent. I believe everybody in Nursing Homes are about to get free dosage.

Three years ago I collapsed at work, I then spent three days in bed asleep and was as week as a kitten and off work for over three months. I lost nearly three stone in weight (that I couldn't afford to lose.) The reason? Simple exhaustion, I was working three jobs, averaging 80 hours a week, and my vitimin levels had dropped to dangerous levels. It was a tough road to get better and I am still one stone short of my optimum weight.

I have been taken vitimin supplements since then, especially vitimin D in the winter months. My last (and final) blood test was three weeks ago and I am fine, (except for my weight) but I am slightly high on vitimin D and to be honest, I will remain a bit high now, since I hear that it may be a Covid stopper.

Some vitamins are water soluble and thus excess is not stored but passed out urine. Vitamin C is an example.

Others are fat soluble and excess is stored in the fatty cells in the liver. Vitamin D for instance.

Thus the livers of some animals can be toxic due to the levels of vitamin A. Another fat soluble one.

Vitamin D excess usually has long-term issues

3ToedSloth

War Hero
Here's another group of so called "Medical Experts", that were complicit in the death of a 22 year old woman though incompetence.

Not all these "Experts" are experts, and some are just clueless f*ckwits.
You do realise she died because her GP didn't test her and so she didn't receive the medical treatment that probably would have saved her life. How does this fit into your narrative that medicine is bad as it's not natural?

Latest Threads