Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WuFlu - Anti Vaxxers

Will you get the Vaccine?

• Total voters
Smashing thanks :) Nearly 5 million vaccinated in the UK. Impressive!!

I'm impressed.

To have done so many within several weeks is surely up there with issuing the whole population with Gasmasks and ration cards at the start of WW2.

I’m a little perturbed by some of the vaccination numbers.
600,000 who recieved the vaccination in the first week (about a month ago). Only 450,000 have had the second dose.
Given that you only get the stated efficacy with the correct dosing regime, this seems less than optimal.

I’m a little perturbed by some of the vaccination numbers.
600,000 who recieved the vaccination in the first week (about a month ago). Only 450,000 have had the second dose.
Given that you only get the stated efficacy with the correct dosing regime, this seems less than optimal.
As I understand it the difference between 1 dose (95%) and two doses (97%) is minimal. Better to give everyone a jab than give a fewer number two.

As I understand it the difference between 1 dose (95%) and two doses (97%) is minimal. Better to give everyone a jab than give a fewer number two.
If those are the numbers then that makes sense.
I think the oxford vaccine is relatively sensitive to the dosing regime, but that was for actually contracting the virus. The metric that is of more importance being hospitalisations/deaths.

Pfizer vaccine gives 30% cover 2 weeks after having the first one. Then 95% cover a week after having the second one.
AstraZeneca vaccine gives 50.2% cover, again 2 weeks after the first one, and 70.4% cover if it is given no more than 4 weeks after the first one but rises to 80% 3 months after the booster dose . It drops to 30 to 40% cover if the second dose is not given within 4 weeks.

Those figures are from the actual companies. The MHRA approval was only given for both vaccines after the booster vaccine is given.

The Moderna vaccine uses some 3 times the amount as the other two and gives 94.1% efficiency 2 weeks after receiving the second dose.

Problem is, if people think they will get 95% straight after receiving the first dose then complacency could creep in and social distancing, face mask wearing etc will drop off.

A professor at the London School of Immunology states that most vaccines of this type only become effective once the booster is given. His advice after having the first dose is to pretend it didn't happen and carry on as if you hadn't had one.

Each of the vaccines provide a higher protection rate than the well used flu vaccine which provides about 60% of cover.

Last edited:
I was talking to a colleague in the US today, whose daughter is nurse in a Texas hospital. She received her 2nd Pfizer vaccination earlier this week and was pretty crook for the rest of the day.
Anyone else had this?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was talking to a colleague in the US today, whose daughter is nurse in a Texas hospital. She received her 2nd Pfizer vaccination earlier this week and was pretty crook for the rest of the day.
Anyone else had this?

many vaccines can create reactions like that, when I was still in a clinical role I had the flu vaccine, great, probably protected from that years version of flu, only I spent several days with all the symptoms of flu without being able to take time off as I wasn't carrying (or spreading) the bloody virus.
I spent the week dying in my office. Mostly all I did was drink lemsip and feel miserable

many vaccines can create reactions like that, when I was still in a clinical role I had the flu vaccine, great, probably protected from that years version of flu, only I spent several days with all the symptoms of flu without being able to take time off as I wasn't carrying (or spreading) the bloody virus.
I spent the week dying in my office. Mostly all I did was drink lemsip and feel miserable
I omitted to say that she had had no reaction to the first injection. It was the second that kicked it off. I have heard of one or two others similar (second hand), but don't really know how much credibility to give it. I haven't seen anything similar reported in the UK.

I omitted to say that she had had no reaction to the first injection. It was the second that kicked it off. I have heard of one or two others similar (second hand), but don't really know how much credibility to give it. I haven't seen anything similar reported in the UK.

I'm not sure whether this actually signifies anything particularly. Different people have different reactions to vaccines. In this case I'd say its a good thing as the body has apparently reacted on being shown the "wanted poster" of the virus again.

I'm not sure whether this actually signifies anything particularly. Different people have different reactions to vaccines. In this case I'd say its a good thing as the body has apparently reacted on being shown the "wanted poster" of the virus again.
I would tend to agree.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone else had this?

No idea, we've been specifically told no 2nd doses even if we have spare at the end of a session

Had my first today,second sometime up to twelve weeks.

CFB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-170640~2.png
    Screenshot_20210129-170640~2.png
    574.3 KB · Views: 47

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Had my first today,second sometime up to twelve weeks.

CFB
In the US Pfizer recommends the 2nd shot in 21 days and Moderna recommends the 2nd shot in 4 weeks and according to the University of Oxford AstraZeneca from 4 to 12 weeks, No two vaccines should be mixed, you take one and the second should be the same make. johnson and Johnson are also going to start supplying a vaccine in the near future. Meanwhile, Israel who at one time had one of the worst records of Covid and vaccinations apparently paid a third more to Pfizer for each doze and have virtually stopped the spread amongst Jews although the Palestinians in Israeli-held territory has very little vaccine or medical help to conquer covid.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, surprised to be asked this morning to book a jab.

Next Wednesday 2miles away. Let you know how it goes.

I think its the Oxford one, but TBH? :shrug:

Piers Corbyn: ' Stick your vaccine!'
Goats: ' You Jack Bastard......'

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Article in the Speccy indicates a single dose seems to be having a disproportionate effect:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Surprise surprise, Mrs Phantoms cousin has made a big fuss on faceache about how she has been offered, and refused, her "plandemic" vaccination.
She is a conspiracy nutter of the most stupid order.

I'm having difficulty not wishing covid 19 on her so she'll know it isn't 'just another cold' and how it's ferking dangerous to state "it can only kill you if you let it" and the sheer fuckwittery of "carry on as normal, it isn't real"

Mrs phantom has remarked how restrained I have been on the subject. I pointed out I wouldn't even wish this disease on Mr Corbyn (either of them) or even Piers Morgan.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Surprise surprise, Mrs Phantoms cousin has made a big fuss on faceache about how she has been offered, and refused, her "plandemic" vaccination.
She is a conspiracy nutter of the most stupid order.

I'm having difficulty not wishing covid 19 on her so she'll know it isn't 'just another cold' and how it's ferking dangerous to state "it can only kill you if you let it" and the sheer fuckwittery of "carry on as normal, it isn't real"

Mrs phantom has remarked how restrained I have been on the subject. I pointed out I wouldn't even wish this disease on Mr Corbyn (either of them) or even Piers Morgan.
Having suffered from a mild dose myself prior to Christmas, that's pretty much where I'm at. I'm sure that there are many whose attitude and wilful idiocy would benefit from a spray of virus, but the potential price for that Schadenfreude is just too high.

Latest Threads