WTF sell legal chemicals in the UK get done by the US

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by brighton hippy, Aug 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Bo'ness couple gain crystal meth extradition challenge

exporting iodine and red phosphorus to crystal meth dealers morally dodgy but isn't actually illegal in this country in fact I could buy the same chemicals and start selling crystal meth and only myself and the 14 year olds I hired to do the work would be in the shit.
    I mean its wrong but technically what british law have they broken?
    can't see the Ukrainians giving a monkeys if I order 1000 aks off for my secret army plod might be slightly annoyed though :)
  2. Well if these two greedy cnuts were happy to supply precursor chemicals to Larry Fucknuts at trailer parks across America and didn't say to themselves. 'Gee! I wonder why lots of poor people living in shitville USA are buying chemicals from a firm in Scotlandshire', they deserve a very long holiday in Club Fed.
  3. true but I could fill my house with those chemicals and legally sell them at a boot sale no uk offense committed.
    they are controlled stateside its an offense in the US.
    I could walk into asda in the states and tool up perfectly legal try to ship the stuff home get nicked.
    We are not the 51st state they haven't as far as I see set foot in the US tough shit mulder out of your jurisdiction jog on

4. And your point is?

ANYONE in the export business knows perfectly well that different countries have different laws. These two smart arses were playing fast and loose and thought they were on to a sure fire way of making a fast buck. Well, now they're on their way to a America and can explain to a Federal Judge why they were knowingly selling drug precursors into the US market knowing perfectly well what that it was illegal..

And please spare us the 51st state hyperbole.
  5. Bit behind the curve here - this story is years old...

The guy had a website (, I believe)... and although it wasnt advertised as such it was alleged he knew these items were restricted in the states, and knew what they were used for and deliberately mislabelled packages to circumvent customs.

Personally I think its over-done bullshit and the US DEA has way too much clout around the world, but such is the world we live in.

The whole 'war on (Some) drugs' is misjudged farcical shit anyway... this is merely one more angle to its absurdity.
  6. Type in Red Phosphorus and Iodine and United States into googlr, top hits?

**** em! They knew what they were doing, and now they be going to do the time.

Advisories to the Public

The Drug Enforcement Administration is issuing this notice to inform businesses handling red phosphorus, white phosphorus and hypophosphorous acid, including non-exempt products containing these chemicals, that they are sometimes used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine. Methamphetamine abuse is a major drug problem in the United States.

Facts about handling red or white phosphorus and hypophosphorous acid:

Red and white phosphorus and hypophosphorous acid are List I chemicals under federal law.
    Criminals are always searching for sources of phosphorus and hypophosphorous acid.
    Handlers need to know their customers so as not to become an unwitting supplier to a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory.
    Handlers must immediately report all suspicious activity to their local DEA office, and follow up in writing within 15 days. Suspicious activity includes extraordinary transactions of these chemicals, or any other activity outside the normal scope of business, possibly indicating these chemicals will be used to make methamphetamine, or violate other DEA laws.
    Remind handlers it is unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess or distribute these chemicals, knowing, or having reasonable cause to believe, that red phosphorus, white phosphorus or hypophosphorous acid will be used to manufacture methamphetamine.
    Records, reports and proof of identity for customers are required for all regulated transactions.

The Drug Enforcement Administration thanks you for your cooperation in this matter.

Revised 01/07/09

Legislation and Control

The Comprehensive Methamphetamine Control Act of 1996 identifies iodine as a List II chemical. DEA mandates that detailed records be kept for sales of iodine crystals that exceed the threshold of 0.4 kilogram established in 2000. Anyone who sells a total of 0.4 kilogram (13.98 ounces) of iodine crystals to an individual, corporation, business, or other legal entity in a 2-month period must obtain data identifying the purchaser, keep records of the transactions for 2 years, and report any suspicious transactions to DEA. This rule does not apply to iodine tinctures or other iodine mixtures.

The possession, distribution, and use of listed chemicals, including iodine, are subject to the following prohibitions: 21 U.S.C. § 841(c)(1)-(3) prohibits any person from knowingly or intentionally possessing or distributing a listed chemical with the intent, knowledge, or belief that the chemical will be used to manufacture a controlled substance. It also prohibits a person from knowingly or intentionally evading established recordkeeping or reporting requirements. (See Text Box.)

Feed Store Owner Convicted

On May 15, 2002, a federal jury convicted a feed store owner in Sallisaw, Oklahoma, on 12 criminal charges for selling iodine crystals to methamphetamine producers. The charges included conspiracy to distribute listed chemicals, possession and distribution of listed chemicals, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and money laundering. From January 1998 through September 2000, the store owner purchased nearly 5,000 pounds of iodine crystals at a cost of $8 per ounce and sold the crystals for $50 per ounce to individuals from Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. During the trial witnesses testified that the store owner knew the crystals were to be used to manufacture methamphetamine.

Source: U.S. Attorney Eastern District of Oklahoma; Associated Press.

Further, 21 U.S.C. § 843(a)(7) prohibits any person from knowingly or intentionally manufacturing, distributing, exporting, or importing any equipment, chemical product, or material that may be used to manufacture a controlled substance or listed chemical. The maximum penalties for each violation of 21 U.S.C. § 841(c)(1)-(3) or 21 U.S.C. § 843(a)(7) are 10 years' imprisonment, a $250,000 fine, or both. Penalties are doubled for second or subsequent convictions.

In California iodine sales and purchases are subject to even more stringent regulation. Section 11107.1 of the California Health and Safety Code requires recordkeeping of all iodine crystal sales regardless of the amount, and sales are limited to 8 ounces of iodine in a 30-day period to any individual. The seller must retain the original bill of sale for 3 years and maintain a record of sale that includes the purchaser's name, address, driver's license number or other state-issued identification number, license plate number, and a description of how the purchaser will use the iodine. Both the purchaser and seller must sign the record. The purchaser must also maintain a record for 3 years that includes the place and date of purchase, a description of the purchase, the quantity purchased, and the cost of the purchase. The records maintained by both the seller and purchaser must be made available to law enforcement upon request. The sale of iodine tincture in the amount of $100 or less is exempt from these requirements.
  7. er cause its legal to flog the stuff in the UK.
    so being a UK based business they haven't broken any UK laws?
    I agree they are being as dodgy as **** but being based in the UK its UK law they should answer too?
  8. The minute they exported it they broke US laws.

By your reasoning, someone flogging AR15's to buyers in the USA are not breaking any US laws as they are legal to own in the US, but guess what? They're illegal to export without an export licence and illegal to own in the UK, period.

Now, try reading some background on the nice people

B.H.+K.S.H. v. HER MAJESTY'S ADVOCATE, 29 July 2011, Lord Osborne+Lord Mackay of Drumadoon+Lord Reed

"…11. Computer records seized during execution of the two rounds of search warrants by United Kingdom authorities reveal that [H] and received numerous emails from customers around the world alerting them to the fact their chemicals were being used to make methamphetamine. This includes an email in 2005 from a US law enforcement authority. The evidence that [H] and/or read these emails, because they all came along with customer orders, and they obviously reviewed orders as part of their business.....Further, pursuant to the searches executed in March of 2005, United Kingdom law enforcement officials discovered a website page saved on a KN03 computer providing a recipe for methamphetamine".
  9. Much as I think our extradition agreement with America appears to be pretty much an almost one way arrangement, i.e. mostly Britons being sent over there for trial and very few Americans coming this way, by selling their particular wares over there, they have broken American law and unfortunately for them, we do have these extradition arrangements with the USA and so, off they must go really.

If they had flogged the stuff to somewhere where we didn't have bi-lateral extradition agreements, they wouldn't be having this battle, but of course, there isn't the demand for this stuff elsewhere or there are easier and cheaper sources available elsewhere. Drug abuse is an enormous problem in America and the Yanks take it very seriously. These two knew that fact when they tried to make a nice few quid on the back of the stateside drug scene and they only have themselves to blame if they end up doing a long period of time in an American jail.
  10. They should have known that Britannia will lift her dress and grab her ankles every time Uncle Sam gets a hard-on. They deserve to go to jail if they were dumb enough to believe the UK legal system would protect them from the Septics.

**** them. Big boy's games, big boys rules.