WTF??? "Seclusion Rooms" and "Restraints" in Elementary Schools?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/o...-discipline-children.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

IN my public school 40 years ago, teachers didn’t lay their hands on students for bad behavior. They sent them to the principal’s office. But in today’s often overcrowded and underfunded schools, where one in eight students receive help for special learning needs, the use of physical restraints and seclusion rooms has become a common way to maintain order.
From my own experience: at 3/4 years old, I attended a preschool where I was taught my alphabet, and basic phonics. I then transferred to a new school system after we moved to Guam, where I went to kindergarten, and the teacher assigned us...alphabet and phonics work. Since I already knew the material, I'd get classwork done well ahead of my classmates, and having nothing to do and being a healthy 5 year old, I'd *find* something to do. Like pulling classmates' chairs out from under them, etc. The teacher would respond by making me sit under her desk or in a corner with a Dunce cap (yes, you read that right) on my head. I have learned since that my parents had some rather sharp conversations with that teacher. My own development led to my testing at a 10th+ grade reading level when I was in 3rd grade (not due to any real innate aptitude, just an average brain trained to read at an early age by my parents). Had I grown up these days, I'd have been diagnosed ADHD, put on zombie meds, and left for my brain to atrophy. And now they're locking kids up in solitary, or stuffing them in duffel bags???? Jesus H. Merry Christmas.....

A cane would be more use.
My parents' liberal use of a wooden kitchen spoon early in my life meant that they didn't have to use it much at all after 6 years old or so. By then I'd learned to say "please", "thank you", "sir", "ma'am", not to steal from others, and respect my elders. Corporal punishment by my lights is preferable and likely less traumatic than being stuffed in a duffel bag, FFS.

If these places are like most of the inner city secondary schools Ive attended calls to as plod then theyll need a **** load more than restraints and seclusion rooms............... like heavy mortars and fast air for example

They're spoiling them with this molly coddling, whatever happened to lashing out drunkenly with a meter long steel ruler?

Mrs CM taught at a primary school for a couple of years in the South West, predominantly civilian families. The biggest problem she faced was with the parents who would be down the school like shit from an enameled shovel if a teacher had even looked at little Johnny (or Johnetta) crossly. Several refused to read to their kids at night because ‘That’s the teacher’s job’. Not to mention the teacher on a physical assault charge for restraining a kid who was out of control.
Rigid programme of involuntary sterilization could start to address the issue.

Some of the restraint moves used on children are just vicious. I oversee a lot of restraint training at the hospital that I manage and there's stuff taught in the children's protocols that would get any of my staff sacked if they used it on adults. Some kid's services still use pain compliance techniques like nose bars, that should have no place in the way we look after children or adults.

Some of the restraint moves used on children are just vicious. I oversee a lot of restraint training at the hospital that I manage and there's stuff taught in the children's protocols that would get any of my staff sacked if they used it on adults. Some kid's services still use pain compliance techniques like nose bars, that should have no place in the way we look after children or adults.
You don't need to restrain them after a good belt around the back of the head.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/o...-discipline-children.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

From my own experience: at 3/4 years old, I attended a preschool where I was taught my alphabet, and basic phonics. I then transferred to a new school system after we moved to Guam, where I went to kindergarten, and the teacher assigned us...alphabet and phonics work. Since I already knew the material, I'd get classwork done well ahead of my classmates, and having nothing to do and being a healthy 5 year old, I'd *find* something to do. Like pulling classmates' chairs out from under them, etc. The teacher would respond by making me sit under her desk or in a corner with a Dunce cap (yes, you read that right) on my head. I have learned since that my parents had some rather sharp conversations with that teacher. My own development led to my testing at a 10th+ grade reading level when I was in 3rd grade (not due to any real innate aptitude, just an average brain trained to read at an early age by my parents). Had I grown up these days, I'd have been diagnosed ADHD, put on zombie meds, and left for my brain to atrophy. And now they're locking kids up in solitary, or stuffing them in duffel bags???? Jesus H. Merry Christmas.....

Arm teachers allow each school to nominate one scroate for the annual "hunger games".
rights can be sold to tv for £££ to support education.
Problem solved :)
Its an out of the box solution with plenty of blue sky thinking its batshit as well :)

I may only have got two CSE's but I learned to duck blackboard cleaners, lie profusely and bully smaller people. Life skills that some parents pay a fortune for ar Eton.

They're spoiling them with this molly coddling, whatever happened to lashing out drunkenly with a meter long steel ruler?
I always used to fear the Friday afternoon board rubber flying from my half cut Maths teachers hand to my nogging.

I have told the story before but it always comes to mind when classroom discipline of yesteryear raises its head.

My wife bought an old barber's mirror from an antique shop because she "Liked the frame"

Then she moaned that the mirror glass was loose.

So I took it apart intending to line the back of the mirror with folded newspaper and re-assemble.

I found that someone had done this before. So unfolded the existing paper lining and had a read/

A case in court. Teacher had grabbed a boy pupil and was smahing his head against a wall/

Urchin slipped free and punched, head butted and kicked teacher into retreat.

Teacher ran to his desk to collect a bayonet he kept there for such occasions.

Boy sees the escalation of hostility and whips open his own jack knife and plunges teacher.

Wounded teacher made his recovery in time to face the court. Alongside the boy.

Both sentenced to hard labour.

London 1890s

Those were the days eh .............