WTF - Modern SNCOs

Whilst making the brews for the office in which I work, a regular Sgt asked if I'd mind making him a ginger tea with a spoon of honey in it.......

Is it any wonder that the Army is such a mess or do I need to recalibrate myself to the modern soldier?

Obviously it can be taken as read that I'll never ask him again.
What's wrong with that request you dinosaur!!

The four of us clubbed together to buy a teas maid for our room at Lulworth, brew kit and a radio alarm clock.
I suppose the next move would have been painting the walls pink, but the Q man was all out of that shade...

Do I need to provide a cloud for you to shake your fist at?

Have you checked if your lawn is clear of pesky kids?

Yours,

A Millenial CO.

I take it a shot of Bailey's instead of milk in your coffee wouldn't go down to well, these days.
Shot of Asbach from the bottle in the bosses bottom draw,..............for that friday afternoon coffee just before knocking off for a weekend without a duty.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
An (ex) officer making the brews? Yes the world is collapsing.

Reminds me of a time in Belfast when we were on HMS Maidstone; the CO had just returned from a drive round downtown Belfast and ask one of the Mess staff, who happened to be in the Ops Room doing something or other, to make him a cup of tea as he was parched. Now this guy was not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but off he bumbled to fill the kettle and get the brew on. Out of the door, turns right and there is a nice tap and he fills the kettle, saved him going all the way down to the Mess to fill it. Makes tea and hands to CO with the requisite milk and sugar added. CO sips and spits - not very officer like - but our hero had filled the kettle with water direct from Belfast harbour which was not appreciated by the CO, and made it very difficult for the other (non officer types) to keep a straight face! Well I enjoyed the event as I was not invited to join said CO with a cuppa!

Still @BadCO, if you make the brew then at least you know what is in it! :geek:

But I thought you were the CO, like a REAL one :oops:

My illusion is shattered.
That has been brewing, IFYSWIDT, for 3 decades. My first introduction was in York in 1991 when I watched a red tab type out (well, on a computer) and print place names for a Divisional meeting.

Last edited:

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
An (ex) officer making the brews? Yes the world is collapsing.

Reminds me of a time in Belfast when we were on HMS Maidstone; the CO had just returned from a drive round downtown Belfast and ask one of the Mess staff, who happened to be in the Ops Room doing something or other, to make him a cup of tea as he was parched. Now this guy was not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but off he bumbled to fill the kettle and get the brew on. Out of the door, turns right and there is a nice tap and he fills the kettle, saved him going all the way down to the Mess to fill it. Makes tea and hands to CO with the requisite milk and sugar added. CO sips and spits - not very officer like - but our hero had filled the kettle with water direct from Belfast harbour which was not appreciated by the CO, and made it very difficult for the other (non officer types) to keep a straight face! Well I enjoyed the event as I was not invited to join said CO with a cuppa!

Still @BadCO, if you make the brew then at least you know what is in it! :geek:

Reminds me of a very young sprog in Germany, when tasked to make the brews, was told to walk to kitchen area to retrieve water for the kettle. Sod that, thought the sprog, there's a perfectly serviceable fire hose right here that's got water.

Cue Det Commander spraying it out upon first taste of brew, his big red Scottish face glowing cherry now as he tries to gargle with flat Irn-Bru to get the rubbery taste out of his mouth, whilst simultaneously inventing new swear words and questioning my genetic origins.

Whilst making the brews for the office in which I work, a regular Sgt asked if I'd mind making him a ginger tea with a spoon of honey in it.......

Is it any wonder that the Army is such a mess or do I need to recalibrate myself to the modern soldier?

I hope you skiffed the mug first.

The four of us clubbed together to buy a teas maid for our room at Lulworth, brew kit and a radio alarm clock.
I suppose the next move would have been painting the walls pink, but the Q man was all out of that shade...
Aah, the Gobblin' Tea's Maid, I fondly remember mine.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

In my day, he would've been stared at like Windsor Davies (PBUH) before explaining at high volume that you're not fcking Starbucks and that tea is served when it is the colour of oxtail soup with either one or two sugars. Then further exort him to "Gerraway for chromosome training you raging connoisseur of soft furnishings and damp UnderArmour briefs."

That wasn't an article, that was a post on ARRSE by some cold war warrior who thought that his opinion was valuable due to him spending 6 years in BAOR in the 1980s drinking himself stupid and smoking tax-free full fat fags.

If you did some research you'd also find the same indivudal posting multiple threads about a shit 7.62mm Self Loading Rifle despite them never using it for anything more mildly exciting than a falling plate competition in the rain from the 300 yard point.
Just one of them?

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
That wasn't an article, that was a post on ARRSE by some cold war warrior who thought that his opinion was valuable due to him spending 6 years in BAOR in the 1980s drinking himself stupid and smoking tax-free full fat fags.

If you did some research you'd also find the same indivudal posting multiple threads about a shit 7.62mm Self Loading Rifle despite them never using it for anything more mildly exciting than a falling plate competition in the rain from the 300 yard point.
You've got to admit though... Back in the "good old days" you never heard of people shooting up their own body armour like them knobjockey crabs in Afghan.

The fact that most of them were never sober enough to hold a rifle let alone be issued 7.62 ball is neither here nor there.