WTF! Little White Worms in my Fish, ugh

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by DrStealth, Aug 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just about to pop the pollock into the oven for tea, when I noticed a bit of it was waving back up at me.
    Closer inspection has found a 12mm appox thin white worm tunneling along in my tea..... :silent:

digging it out I was quite peturbed to find it was quite a lively chappie who can get a good wiggle on.

Just WTF is it!???!!!!? parasite from the sea? picked-up on the way to the super market?? GROSS.

this is disgusting, but more importantly than that, I'm feckin clempt, and theres nothing else to eat in the mud hut,

IS THE FISH SAFE TO EAT!!!!!.......... after being grilled in a bit of white wine that is.

am I save cooking and eating any of this beasties mates who may still be lurking in my pollocks?
    can it live and grow inside me? bursting out like an alien chestburster? is it a feckin alien? are the kennadys gun shy? so many questions.

guys, quick answers please, I need to know, its holding up my tea and I really dont want berger or kabab from the shop again, like I have been living on all week.

ps- can I sue Morrisons for billions of quids in compo? there could be a party on.
  2. Fish have worms, nothing new.
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yes sue the arrse off of Morrisons.
  4. You catch them with worms.....

it's karma.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Quickly weigh yourself, then swallow the cheeky chappie.

Let us know how you get on.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. yeh yeh yeh, i aint got time for the one liners or i would have posted this in the naf,

so the fish is safe to eat yeh?

please, i got to scoff and run, cask ales and live music is awaiting.

7. No. Bin it.
  8. If you've ever served in Germany and eaten fresh pork, be afraid, be very afraid. Get a leg joint (or something with skin on), try pouring Coca Cola (other brands are available) over it and within seconds you'll see the little ******* wriggling out of the skin!
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yes its safe, just give it the once over to see if there are any more if so remove them. cook as normal any heat over 140F will kill them off if you miss any.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Stop being big girls blouse its just a codworm cooking kills them, freezing below -4 kills them. And if you accidentally ate one raw it would probably pass straight through.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I get that looked into if I were you, then stop off at Burger King.
  12. It's a very common occurrence, especially with whiting, cod and pollock.

The worms are harmless and in most cases you will have eaten them without noticing. You only need to be concerned when you start defecating 12" ragworm from the back passage.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. First came across this 30 years ago while building the M25 at Waltham Abbey...

A mate came across such worms while eating his fish and chips at lunchtime (yes, the worms were still wriggling). He dashed to the council health place, intending to get the chippy closed down, but was informed by one of the bods that it was a common occurence.

Evidently the worms live in the gut of the fish. When the fish are caught, they're brought in in such numbers that it takes a while before the fish in the middle of the heap are chilled sufficiently for the worms to die. The worms often have time to burrow through the gut and into the flesh of the fish before they die. Sometimes the fish don't have time to get cold enough to kill the worms before they're off-loaded, gutted and sold on. Depending on where they are in the fillet, the worms could survive a short period of refrigeration and the subsequent short period of frying. But it's OK, because they're harmless.

It's one reason why I usually avoid fish and chips in the south of England, where fish are caught by factory ships that spend the better part of a week at sea - the "fresher" the fish, the greater the likelihood that the worms will survive until they get to the plate (or paper). Elsewhere in Britain, the fish is generally locally caught by boats that return the catch daily so the worms don't have time to transfer from the gut to the flesh.
  14. It's all good protein. Get it down ya.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. This is codworm (kvist), a parasite that lives in the stomach and flesh of many fish. I guarantee that you have eaten thousands if you regularly eat fish. As mentioned freezing or cooking deals with the little buggers and their cysts. As for living in mammals; if you ever open a seals guts you will find that its a heaving mass of them, the seal being a part of the reproductive cycle and one of the reasons Icelanders and Norwegians are so very keen to kill seals.