WTF is it with sellers/collectors ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was under the impression that certain things (rubber, plastics, metals, etc) were not allowed in a casket that is cremated.
Aerosols, accelerants, ammunition, batteries, explosives, fireworks, fossil fuels, fcuk buddies and pets I'm told.

I was under the impression that certain things (rubber, plastics, metals, etc) were not allowed in a casket that is cremated.
Pacemaker batteries, etc should be surgically removed prior to cremation: those that are missed certainly concentrate the minds of the crematorium staff at the point of ignition.

. . . and pets I'm told.
Yeah. About that . . . I've conducted 2 funerals with cremations where the casket contains a much loved pet. One was a parrot that dropped of it's perch 24 hours after it's owner.*

*Please-no Monty Python puns: and apologies for the Fred Rift.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Pacemaker batteries, etc should be surgically removed prior to cremation: those that are missed certainly concentrate the minds of the crematorium staff at the point of ignition.
May breast augmentation sacs remain in place ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yeah. About that . . . I've conducted 2 funerals with cremations where the casket contains a much loved pet. One was a parrot that dropped of it's perch 24 hours after it's owner.
Yet they get all bent out of shape is someone plants a pet in the same place as people.

My wife last year took her mother to visit the Orange orders museum in Castlereagh ,on looking at some of the exhibits about the Somme she was somewhat surprised to see a case displaying two sets of medals ,including the "Death Penny" and other items belonging to a father and son, the father killed on the first day of the Somme and the son killed on the retreat to Dunkirk near Ypres , her great grandfather and great uncle !
We were able to find the owner and he was sold them by someone who bought them at a car bot sale, we know none of the family would have sold them like this and believe they were "lifted" from another relatives house when he passed away , we would love to get them back to the family but he guy wants a couple of thousand quid for them and at present we are not able to pay that .
I am tempted to try and go the stolen property line as my mother in law is the NoK but sadly I don't think I would get anywhere.

38180754_10156555733899243_8733321147464024064_n.jpg

38128635_10156555734134243_5434228257689960448_n.jpg

38086055_10156555730559243_7422363881659432960_n.jpg

38204194_10156555732594243_4643157064871313408_n.jpg

38130807_10156555740119243_2260304841068773376_n.jpg

38168728_10156555731089243_6754686682643038208_n.jpg

May breast augmentation sacs remain in place ?
Almost certain that they are left in situ.

Just before I hung up the top hat and tail coat, there was a industry-wide updated list of what could and couldn't be left in place, both for burial and cremation. 'Pacemaker' is a catch-all phrase that covers a bunch of electro-mechanical appliances.

Replacement hips are recovered from the cremator and the metal recycled.

Replacement hips are recovered from the cremator and the metal recycled.
One of my dad's landscaping squads found a replacement hip joint in a load of bonemeal fertilizer from China.

Thank combination is worth £500 tops

I would talk to a solicitor to find out your rights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I'd agree with that valuation: whilst 1 July 1916 casualties are very collectible, double casualties are more so-but £2k is kicking the backside out of it.

. . . sadly, I have to say that the Peelers might not be too interested particularly if the current owner has a bill of sale/receipt and can claim a 'good faith' purchase. It gets murky with the boot sale story but, again, someone needs to claim theft from the family/the then custodian before they'll get truly interested.

Yep, I'd agree with that valuation: whilst 1 July 1916 casualties are very collectible, double casualties are more so-but £2k is kicking the backside out of it.

. . . sadly, I have to say that the Peelers might not be too interested particularly if the current owner has a bill of sale/receipt and can claim a 'good faith' purchase. It gets murky with the boot sale story but, again, someone needs to claim theft from the family/the then custodian before they'll get truly interested.
That's the problem , we know the family member that had the medals ,the background story is wrong as George was born 1914 the brother who had them ,Elliot, was the one born after his father was killed and named after his fathers officer who was also killed at the Somme , Elliot never married and we are not sure who had access to the house when he died about twenty years ago as he was not really close to the rest of the family . I can't see the police being interested at all in it , as apart from anything else we don't know if they were given away or stolen.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We were able to find the owner and he was sold them by someone who bought them at a car bot sale,
Please let him have bought them from one of those who "haven't gone away."
Preferably any random* Mr. " I'm fokken untouchable !" Adams.

But going by the typo it could have been a brother.

* Any similarly to persons living or dead, etc...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Any thoughts about this one ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Allegedly all named to same ouen, (different ranks,) except MC described as un-named as issued.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nope, else I'd have laughed it off.

My wife last year took her mother to visit the Orange orders museum in Castlereagh ,on looking at some of the exhibits about the Somme she was somewhat surprised to see a case displaying two sets of medals ,including the "Death Penny" and other items belonging to a father and son, the father killed on the first day of the Somme and the son killed on the retreat to Dunkirk near Ypres , her great grandfather and great uncle !
We were able to find the owner and he was sold them by someone who bought them at a car bot sale, we know none of the family would have sold them like this and believe they were "lifted" from another relatives house when he passed away , we would love to get them back to the family but he guy wants a couple of thousand quid for them and at present we are not able to pay that .
I am tempted to try and go the stolen property line as my mother in law is the NoK but sadly I don't think I would get anywhere.

View attachment 379123
Despite the connection between the two groups £2000 seems a bit strong. That death penny has been polished up too- as issued they were almost black.

It’s possible 18 year old in 1899 makes him 58 in 1939 assuming it’s a WW1 MC and no operational service in WW2 and if I remember right naming MCs is a reasonabley modern thing as postiebear says seeing the naming would help then it would be easy to check if he was awarded an MC

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It’s possible 18 year old in 1899 makes him 58 in 1939 assuming it’s a WW1 MC and no operational service in WW2 and if I remember right naming MCs is a reasonabley modern thing as postiebear says seeing the naming would help then it would be easy to check if he was awarded an MC
If I've read it right it's 120748 JE Nelson.