WTF is it with sellers/collectors ?

Yeah that's what I'd heard, but it was an oke with far more knowledge on the subject than I who told me it wasn't quite that clear cut.
Since then I've been trying to find some official bumf from the UN that merchantile marine also qualified, and so far I've turned up vokoll.
Oz, not the UK but, I should think that similar exists for the UK somewhere.

http://www.defence.gov.au/Medals/_Master/docs/Foreign/UN-Service-Medal-Korea-Regulations-1955.pdf

Look at III, A., 2.

There is no R G Davies on the MN SAM roll

There is a R Davies who served QE11

Still think it is a made up group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this recently. Incredibly sad.
One lady who had lost her husband three months previously had a caller at her door. He was a military historian, and had purchased her late husband’s medals at auction.
She was aghast, because she had placed his medals on his suit in the funeral director’s chapel of rest, prior to the coffin being sealed ready for cremation.
Both the medal collector and widow contacted the police, because he was unhappy at unwittingly being involved in a crime of this nature. It transpired that the cremator operator was in the custom of opening the coffin when no-one was around in the hope that there would be something of value inside. He discovered the medals, selling them at auction. Very easy to trace the crime, he was taken to court, and given a custodial sentence.

The MN veterans badge is only awarded to merchant seamen who supported the military and lists the campaigns involved

These are also the same campaigns that the MN were authorised for combat awards

Therefore the queens Korea medal was awarded to the MN in support of military operations which mean they were automatically awarded the UN Korea

Do they sell to mongs, or is there an interest in wobbly racks?
Serious collectors can spot lob-together groups a mile off and wouldn't entertain parting with money. Unfortunately there's people out there - whether they be speculators, hoarders, magpies or simply those un-schooled in such things - who are prepared to part with the beerchits. More fool them.
Knowledge dispels fear and all that.

Read this recently. Incredibly sad.
One lady who had lost her husband three months previously had a caller at her door. He was a military historian, and had purchased her late husband’s medals at auction.
She was aghast, because she had placed his medals on his suit in the funeral director’s chapel of rest, prior to the coffin being sealed ready for cremation.
Both the medal collector and widow contacted the police, because he was unhappy at unwittingly being involved in a crime of this nature. It transpired that the cremator operator was in the custom of opening the coffin when no-one was around in the hope that there would be something of value inside. He discovered the medals, selling them at auction. Very easy to trace the crime, he was taken to court, and given a custodial sentence.
That spins my wheels on two aspects: firstly, as a medal anorak and secondly as a retired Funeral Director!

When I was in the trade, none-NONE!-of the circle that I mixed with would ever consider such a thing . . . then again, some of the Orcs that inhabit the public and private cremation centres . . .

That spins my wheels on two aspects: firstly, as a medal anorak and secondly as a retired Funeral Director!

When I was in the trade, none-NONE!-of the circle that I mixed with would ever consider such a thing . . . then again, some of the Orcs that inhabit the public and private cremation centres . . .
From Buried Secrets - Harry Pope.
Shout if you want a copy.

Indeed, I've just had confirmation of that also. Simply for that SAM82, the whole thing smells like a smelly thing-for Mr RG Davis to have been awarded a SAM82 with out rosette, the QEII would have had to have put him ashore at Ascension.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

I didn't have high hopes of him being on the list, and it's probably the most accurate one available.

I might have a look at some of the other interesting and genuine racks that Scotmint has available.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The MN veterans badge is only awarded to merchant seamen who supported the military and lists the campaigns involved

These are also the same campaigns that the MN were authorised for combat awards
That's the one with the Armed Forces Veterans Badge superimposed on the fly of the Red Duster, right ?
And like the veterans badge available to anyone with access to the internet.
In fact I just looked up the image and while e-bay.au was the first result, the fourth was from a little known firm called scotmint.com...
Which with these details, +44 (0) 1292 268 244 and rob@scotmint.com, may or may not have anything to do with the e-bay seller of this rack.

Personally I'd much prefer to meet some of the ladies who qualify for this award:

Therefore the queens Korea medal was awarded to the MN in support of military operations which mean they were automatically awarded the UN Korea
With respect we're back at #019/#020, something which for years I've been told as gen but still can't find any official UN source explaining mercantile marine criteria.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Looks like we, and the SAM list, are all wrong.
Had a squizz on e-bay and apparently the "Group of Five Full Size Genuine Medals" - WWII/Korea/SAM MN group has been bought for £245.-
One used to be able to see a bid list & the final buyer on the site.
Is that facility no longer available ?

On reflection the description is semi-accurate.

The red duster with veteran badge is very hard to get officially as you had to serve in support of a military force which means you were issued a campaign medal

My father served merchant navy and went to Vietnam with BP tankers, he has been denied the veteran badge and Vietnam medal and the later Vietnam logistics medal

If he had been American or Australian he would have been awarded the Vietnam medals and if Australian the MN veterans badge and the Vietnam logistics medal.

As the queens Korea medal was never issued without the UN Korea any MN who qualified must have both medals.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That's why I like the old Russian / Soviet medals. There was so ******* many of them for so many reasons, you can get all manner of great looking gongs that make a lovely collection.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The red duster with veteran badge is very hard to get officially as you had to serve in support of a military force which means you were issued a campaign medal
Yes, officially.

My father served merchant navy and went to Vietnam with BP tankers, he has been denied the veteran badge and Vietnam medal and the later Vietnam logistics medal

If he had been American or Australian he would have been awarded the Vietnam medals and if Australian the MN veterans badge and the Vietnam logistics medal.
It's the way of the world, if you find yourself in someone else's dust-up there's little chance of them giving you a badge for it.

As the queens Korea medal was never issued without the UN Korea any MN who qualified must have both medals.
Again, and still with respect, repeating a mantra doesn't necessarily make it correct.
Over the weekend I hope to find - or at least search for - more official bumf from the UN.

I was under the impression that certain things (rubber, plastics, metals, etc) were not allowed in a casket that is cremated.