WTF is it? Will anybody notice?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by putteesinmyhands, Feb 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, here's the story....

I left it late and in a bit of a panic ordered a set of court-mounted miniatures by phone. As it was a panic, I didn't have time to send the old ones in, I just ordered a new set.

Having got them in the post today, I've found that the Efficiency Medal (Territorial) isn't like the previous ones (yes, I've been in a panic before) or, indeed, like the big one. The difference is in the scroll. It's a different shape and reads T&AVR instead of Territorial. The riband is the same colour and the inscription on the back is the same.

So what have I got? An older version?

Answers on a postcard please.

The medals themselves are clearly of poorer quality than my previous ones, so I don't think that I'll be using that place again. Wait, why would I need to use them again? Don't think evil thoughts...

2. Any pics? Which place did you use?

3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

It was Territorial and Army Volunteer Reserve in the mid-late 70s, if that helps.

4. I've considered that, but would the scroll have changed from (presumably) "Territorial" to "T&AVR" for a medal that (again, presumably) would only be issued to the Territorial component?

I can't post a photo (not intellectual enough) and the website shows a picture of the "Territorial" version under the heading of TAVR - before anyone states the obvious, there was no other Efficiency Medal option other than for the TD.

5. T&AVR was formed (cranks up ancient memory cells)1968-ish. I could be wrong, but - I'm sure that, if your Territorial service continued after that year, you'd be entitled to wear the new-look medal. Of course, my numismatic qualifications are very limited, so please don't quote me.

Cheers,
    Cliff

6. Maggie Thatch was instrumental in dropping the cumbersome T&AVR title and revert back to TA in 1981.

TD's and TEM's issued from 1967 to 1981 had T&AVR on the scroll and a new medal ribbon of green, yellow & blue. Those TD's and TEM's issued after 1981 had 'Territorial' on the scroll with no change of ribbon.

My own miniature TEM came through as a pre-1967 version with 'Territorial' on the scroll and a green and yellow ribbon - the original colours. I wore mine for about 12 years and no-one ever noticed or commented on it.