WTF is a Rain Tax?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Farenheit, Jul 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Look, I'm just a thick Australian & I'm sure I must have misunderstood this. Could somebody please enlighten me?

BBC Link

To my simple mind, this BBC article seems to suggest that a tax based on how much water runs off your roof when it rains is about to be imposed on businesses & organisations in the UK. Given that it rains All The Fcuking Time in Great Britain such a thing would surely be ruinous.

It's not April Fool's day, so I must have just read it wrong or something.

2. Read it properly and it isn't something new, its just being extended to groups with charitable status. Measuring the roof area is a way of calculating the amount of surface water that will need to be drained away from a site. It would actually be more accurate to measure the total area of car parks, paths etc that prevent rain water from soaking away but lets not tell them that or everyone will be paying more. (stuff the churches though)

3. Appears to be limited to community buildings.

An easy solution to this is to remove the roof of the Scout Hut.

Problem solved, thereby saving money to spend on whittling sticks and beans.

Removing the roof of the church would be an advantage as well. No more tin can shakers on the High Strrets of Lincoln begging for money "For a new Church roof"

No more overhead cover on 'sarf London 'yoof clubs would mean that the dosh could go towards a bigger and better arsenal of up to date weaponry.

4. Can the RFU, Scouts, etc, etc, not bill the water companies for the water they are putting into the utilities system? I'm pretty sure the water companies would be fecked if they had no rain water to dilute their sewage with. :)

5. how about a national protest whereby we all flush our toilets at the same time? also pre fill every sink, bath bucket etc and empty them all at the same time. could our sewer system cope?

6. why don't the scouts just fit water barrels on all the downpipes? That way they aren't contributing to drainage, and can bottle it and sell it as 'spring water' like Buxton do! Every ones a winner!

7. It seems the water companies are learning tricks from this government......as in how to be

Complete CNUTS !

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Oh, it gets better - much better.

Not only do you get charged for them to take it away, but it was never yours in the first place.

Any water that falls on your property belongs to the water company, and you have to pay for and provide the drainage to feed it into their collection pipes from your property, and not only that, you then have to pay them to collect and process.

Put simply, they are charging you to collect their water for them. It's very much like the government and VAT: Companies are required to collect the government's money through the Value Added Tax on goods, and have to pay their own accountants, out of their own profits to ensure it's collected correctly. The government does not pay companies for this 'service'.

9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I may be wrong, but I thought that if your water ran into a 'soakaway' then you could get the 'drainage' part of your bill reduced. For example 3 of the 4 drains from my roof go into soakaways rather than the drains....I'm sure someone told me I could get a reduction on the drainage part of my bill.

But then again I never investigated it further...may have to find out.

S_R

10. You are correct. My water supply is from a spring and all my water and sewerage goes to a soakaway so no bills at all for me!

What is utterly outrageous about how the water companies charge for run off is this:

Say you have a bungalow, one storey with a surface area of 200 square metres . You pay (say) £30

Next door is a twenty storey tower block covering an area of 200 square metres. It has the same area of roof as your bungalow. So does each of the 20 residents in the tower block pay one twentieth of £30?

Of course not! They each pay £30! :X

11. It's true, but you would have to re-direct that 4th drain to a soakaway to qualify. I've got rainwater harvesting, so don't pay for surface drainage, I should be totally off-grid in 4 years.

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'd say dig a fukc off big hole in your entire plot and let it fill with water - then park a houseboat in it - but UK gov would still charge you mooring tax or evaporation tax :roll:

13. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Thanks, I did just check it out and you are right, all my surface drainage needs to avoid the drains for me to qualify. I was tempted with rainwater harvesting, but trying to convert a 1950s built house to do that is a bit more interesting that i want to contemplate currently...maybe the next one.

S_R

14. All that happens, is that the foul water (sewage) system surcharges. This is eleviated, by it overflowing (at set points, usually underground) into the surface water system and/or storm drains and going out to outfalls or rivers, instead of going to the sweage treatment plants.

Then you'll see your bills rise to cover the clean up costs. :roll:

15. Fresh air tax next?