WTF are these? Can they be eaten safely? If so, what options are there for their preparation?

Big harvest of these on a little tree on the edge of my little town.

The bizarre weather conditions of late have clearly been near-perfect for wotever-the-feck these t'ings are.

Being a big fan of scrumping (or foraging as the man-bun brigade would have it) I'd like to know what they are, and what if anything, I can do with them:

IMG_20170819_145817088.jpg

A type of rosehip i think . If so i think you can make a syrup from them with lots of sugar but very long winded for something which is sugar with a bit of a taste of rosehip .

I would have been tempted to say a type of cherry but it has that bit at the bottom that apples and rosehips have .

Same situation here , town ringroad is full of fruit trees , cherrys , apples and some small yellow things . Fruit all over the roads at the moment .

If they are confirmed as rosehip then the syrup is very high in Vitamin C.
An old farmer told me that itching powder - the bloody evil stuff you used to be able to buy in joke shops - is made from follicles found inside the fruit once dried.
I'm sure I once had a look and found something fitting the description. Top, tail, discard all but the flesh.

If they are confirmed as rosehip then the syrup is very high in Vitamin C.
An old farmer told me that itching powder - the bloody evil stuff you used to be able to buy in joke shops - is made from follicles found inside the fruit once dried.
I'm sure I once had a look and found something fitting the description. Top, tail, discard all but the flesh.
Correct. We used to collect them for just that as kids.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Look like unripe damsons to me. Damsons/Plums are part of the Rosacae family, we're they from a bush or a tree, and can you cut them open do we can have a pic of the seed(s)

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Correct. We used to collect them for just that as kids.
Yep, took the boy for a walk by the river today admiring the wild rises loadsa rosehips, reminded me if using them for that purpose

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Crossed my mind - never seen hips so big, though

Rose hips, that is. My wife is not called Rose, and hers are truly mahoosive, given that she stands a mere five foot tall.
Was the tree in flower, rosehips are present when wild roses flower, look like the rose of Yorkshire

Do not consume the seeds. The hairs on them can irritate your bowel.