WTD - Caubeen.

Discussion in 'Classified Ads' started by Biscuits_Brown, Mar 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not the deceased and (in my view) amusing nobber, but the hat.

In rifle green & very, very big. ( I was outsize in a mk.6)
  2. I've no idea what WTD means. But I'll give my tuppence worth anyhow.

The caubeen is gash hat. Even if it's perectly shaped (which I assume is impossible) it looks like a shite speed cyclists crash helmet.

I've never, ever, seen a man in a Caubeen and not smiled to myself, thinking "you look a ****."
    • Like Like x 3

3. Look you sad regent.... Go get fucked... By the Queenie who was having the gamekeeeper.
    Or something.

You twat. It is a ridiculous hat.
  4. 'Sarn't what the **** are they wearing?'
    'That's the Irish, they march with their dossbags on their heads'
    • Like Like x 2
  5. WTD=What to do(?) Burn it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. So now you know what happens when you buy berets from a factory near Sellarfield
  7. HHH

HHH LE

What To Do with a Caubeen,

Use it to collect spuds in!
  8. I wear a caubeen for work and I've never ever looked at myself in the mirror in the morning, without grimacing and thinking,"you look a ****"
    • Like Like x 1
  9. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  10. Berets certainly were.

Look here fellows... These stories are all very well, but nobody has yet said "I have one here you can have for the price of a pint" or "sub me some cash and I'll pop to the PRI and pick you up a nice tailored example Biccies old chap"

I freely admit it's for recreational walting purposes.

11. Yes!. I heard that as well. I was told that the caubeen dates back to when Britain ruled Ireland and peasant Irish farmers worked the land. At the end of each day they were paid; in potatoes. The rate of pay was dictated by how many spuds they could fit in their hat. Hence a hat shaped like a sack.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Caubeen is what you get when you dont tell Paddy that the cap GS has been withdrawn and Berets are on issue now!
  13. These lads thought they were fine.

RUR NCOs with Monty Hawick 1944a.jpg

Second row sixth from the left is a bit of a chancer

Somewhere we have pics of a family member wearing one in Shanghai and Palestine as well.
  14. I dont wear one anymore unfortunately but if you think they are gash I'll bet my beret shaped in the style of a caubeen looks worse!

I was shown how to 'shape' my caubeen, no one ever told me what to do with the new silly looking hat...