Wrong Decision?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by shifty18, Sep 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, I recently passed selection for the Engineers and I got good levels on the fitness and general tests/asessments. My problem is that I am worried I may have made a mistake choosing the Engineers as I believe that I might regret it later on. I think that the inf. might be more for me. My start date is 7th January, is it too late to change my career path and what are your opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. I suspect this is a wind-up:)

The short answer is you can step down but you can't step up.

3. This is no wind up, its a serious question. I dont want to make the wrong decision simple as that.

4. Until you try it you won't know whether you've made the right or wrong decision. You'll always find blokes who think the grass is greener in the next field. Give the REs a go as you've already started down that path , if later on you feel you've gone into the wrong mob you can apply to transfer but by that time you'll probably have a far better understanding of who does what in the army and be able to make a more considered choice.

5. RE is a "teeth arm" so you should, in theory, still get plenty of proper soldiering. In the RE you will probably also get better opportunities to learn a trade or gain other useful skills/qualifications so that if/when you leave the army you should find yourself better equipped for a wider range of civvy careers

6. What trade are you planning on in the Engineers??

7. Shifty, Stick with the Engrs and get yourself a decent trade. Give it a year or two then do the Para/Commando course if you want, bored of that then go bomb disposal, had enough of that try Amph Engrs, don't like that become a diver. Engineers offer you much more than the infantry could.

8. Cow

Cow LE

Stay RE. If I could start again I'd do it, as others have said the jobs available will far outweigh anything the Inf can offer you.

You have the change to work on attachment to almost every unit in the Army, does the Inf do this? Doesn't sound much, but when you get bored of section attacks there's not much you can do (not trying to knock the Inf here).

9. Assume you are going for a commission with your ability to assess the options, make a decision and stick with it??

10. Also have a think aboutt he fact that the Army (hopefully) isn't for life and what do you do if you pick up an injury, or leave for any other reason! What job will you do when you leave?

OS

11. Or join the infantry, give it a couple of years then do a sniper course, or a javelin course, or a mortar course, or a driver course, or an assault pioneer course, or a domestic pioneers course, or a storeman's course, or a gunnery course, or signals course, or an SF course, or do a piper/drummer course, or do P Coy/cdo course, or selection.
    If nothing there flicks your switches join the engrs.

If you are wondering what to do when you leave the Army make sure you keep your nose clean and compel your chain of command to write you a decent 108 and a good reference.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Do you fit kitchens on that one? :D

13. [/quote]Or join the infantry, give it a couple of years then do a sniper course, or a javelin course, or a mortar course, or a driver course, or an assault pioneer course, or a domestic pioneers course, or a storeman's course, or a gunnery course, or signals course, or an SF course, or do a piper/drummer course, or do P Coy/cdo course, or selection.
    If nothing there flicks your switches join the engrs.

If you are wondering what to do when you leave the Army make sure you keep your nose clean and compel your chain of command to write you a decent 108 and a good reference.[/quote]

Mmmm, that'll do you the world of good in civi street.

14. Go with your gut instincts, the army is a career not a job, if being an infantryman is what you really want then go for it now!. contact the recruiting office asp to try to get things changed. I'm ex Royal Tank Regiment and was told the same "get a trade crap" when I was joining up, these are going to be the best years of your life, so do want you want to do not what is the "sensible" option. Lots of people become chef's and vehicle mechanics in the army and never go near those trades when they get out.

Of course what you SHOULD do is join the 1st Royal Tank Regiment!

15. Oh FFS here we go again.

Look son, and anyone else who is about to ask, no one is going to be able to tell you what to do with YOUR life (well, not until you start basic).

The Army is full of different jobs/trades/regt's all of which are open to you provided you are up to scratch.

Do a bit of research, find something that you think you will enjoy (as you'll be doing it for at least 3 years) and then MAKE YOUR OWN FCUKING MIND UP.

ARRRRRGGHHHHGGHGGGHH :pissedoff: