Written Tests- Best way to prepare?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Falcon37, Oct 19, 2015.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently preparing for my Main Board and I've seen the Written Test section of the 4 day assessment.

Can some elaborate a bit more on what the tests will be, what the questions will be like (Examples) and any good/effective ways they used to prepare for this section of assessment on AOSB.

Thank you to all!

2. If you get stuck then be creative.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone who can be will turn up before long.

Good luck either way.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I am also preparing for Main Board, so I can't tell you what they'll be like or share any information other than what I have done/will be doing to prepare.

But I managed to pick up a copy of Richard McMunn's 'How to Pass AOSB'. And for the most part the book is not all that much help but there are some sample essay questions.
    You can read some of the book online here: How to Pass the Army Officer Selection (beware though, after reading about 2 chapters Google Books will not let you read anymore, so be aware!)
    And I think the Essay tips are on page 14/15 with a whole stack of practice questions.

Other than that, I really can't offer any more help as I haven't been through Main Board yet. But if you do find any other resources, do let us know!

4. This thread has been locked and nobody has posted since 2009. What do you suggest as I have lots of AOSB questions?

5. Get a pen

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Read the stickies.

7. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Get access to the questions beforehand, the only advice I can give. Not saying that I've done that before, no sir not me never copied the DS Safety Trace weeks beforehand. Not me.

8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Not really an option for AOSB. But I like your thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  9. For my support weapons exam I had the mechanism for the a1, a2 and a3 variant of the mortar bipod memorised*

*Written down, folded up and tucked away into shirt sleeve order ready for whichever one they asked.

10. Get a tat or two

more-tattoo-dos-and-don-ts-5.jpg
    dc-tattoo.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. No point going into specifics as to what the questions will be as they obviously wont be the same as what you'll face.

Just ensure you have a good knowledge of current affairs. The wider range of knowledge you have, the more chance you will be able to write an effective argument. Just ensure you can write a concise essay, getting across main points succinctly. They want to see you can build an argument and consider other points of views.

Don't stress too much about it. The topics are so varied that you will have knowledge of one of the subjects